Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese WWII Mystery Sword

Article about: I recently acquired what I believe to be an authentic WWII Japanese Sword. I don't know much about Japanese war relics, as I don't read Japanese (lol). But, from what I have been able to res

Default Japanese WWII Mystery Sword

I recently acquired what I believe to be an authentic WWII Japanese Sword. I don't know much about Japanese war relics, as I don't read Japanese (lol). But, from what I have been able to research this looks quite authentic to me.

I have attached photos as well as a link with this post (as the file size is too big to post here with quality intact). I have a detailed picture of the tang with a signature that I can't read (Japanese). It's a 27MB file, so please be patient as it loads! It's worth it!

(Also, although the picture might not show it extremely well, the katana has a strong hamon.)

If anyone can decipher this writing, I would be stoked!

Thanks!

*edit*
    removed link and added picture of tang
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese WWII Mystery Sword   Japanese WWII Mystery Sword  

Japanese WWII Mystery Sword   Japanese WWII Mystery Sword  

Japanese WWII Mystery Sword  
    Last edited by Majorkonig49; 07-11-2010 at 07:55 PM.

Default Re: Japanese WWII Mystery Sword

looks to be Japanese Naval style samurai furniture,,,blade could be much older than the fittings,,,post a pic of the tang,both sides,this should narrow down the vintage a bit,,,

Thanks for replying, there is a link just above the top of the first pic that shows a detailed pic of the signature, the other side of the tang is blank, thanks!!!!
    Last edited by Majorkonig49; 07-11-2010 at 06:57 AM.

?

Hi Majorkonig , this is indeed a Japanese Kaigunto or Naval Sword , and is a very nice example . This is identified as a Naval sword by the fittings and scabbard . The scabbard is real top quality being covered with sharkskin and has the double hanger rings ( Shin Gunto or army scabbards only have one hanger ring ) . The Tsuba or handguard also shows this as a naval example showing the extending rays of the rising sun , and then on the tsuka or handle you see under the wrapping the dark blue coloured rayskin wrap which is again a naval sword trait ( army examples are white ) all in all a super find , congratulations . Unfortunately i cannot open your link , but i would love to see more of the blade and tang if possible
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Thanks a lot Al!! ill fix the link today, to me the signature is really interesting as it nearly goes the length of the tang, ill get on it!!!
    Last edited by Majorkonig49; 07-11-2010 at 07:56 PM.

?

濃州関住服部正広廣作 = Nōshū Seki jū Hattori Masahiro saku.
    Note the large Seki 関 stamp at the top of the tang.