Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Jimmie S. Matsuda: Tokotai Pilot Trainee

Article about: I just returned from the funeral memorial of Jimmie Matsuda; a pillar of my wife's Japanese church in Santa Clara, CA. I knew Mr. Matsuda for some years and he would tell me that being a nav

Default Jimmie S. Matsuda: Tokotai Pilot Trainee

I just returned from the funeral memorial of Jimmie Matsuda; a pillar of my wife's Japanese church in Santa Clara, CA. I knew Mr. Matsuda for some years and he would tell me that being a naval pilot was great because "The girls loved the white uniform!" He was well-known in the community and was interviewed, I've added some of the interviews below.

Jimmie was a US citizen, born in Oregon. His family returned to Japan before the war to visit family; he got sick and missed the return boat and stayed with his mother, his father returned to Oregon.

I thought forum members might be interested in a couple of his interviews in which he talks about the military and his pilot training; just before deploying to Okinawa with his squadron, he was held back because they found out he was fluent in English and wanted him to translate fliers dropped from American planes.

Joining the Japanese Air Force

Training as a kamikaze pilot

Prestige of being a Kamikaze pilot

Jimmie had about 20 flight-hours in a 2-seater Zero, and contrary to the standard joke, he learned how to land! (^__^)

Parents' pride in son's military service

The pressures felt by kamikaze pilots

--Guy
    Attached Images Attached Images Jimmie S. Matsuda: Tokotai Pilot Trainee 

I forgot about this part of his story.
    Drafted!
    Jimmy received a draft notice while working as a translator. He talked to his commander and told him he couldn't kill anybody due to all the death he'd seen; then he told his officer he had been a Tokotai pilot. The officer sent a letter to DC and said, "If we don't hear back in three weeks, ignore the draft notice." He didn't have to report to Camp Roberts.

WOW!!!! Guy these conversation and stories are GOLD! Truly unique and fascinating insights into history that are vanishing before our eyes as vets pass away - but his is super unique! Still listening to them but the one where his mother runs out to his departing train and tell him she does not want him to come back alive, but to die for his country and the emperor is heartbreaking! The story of when flying kamikaze planes became so resource limited that they were shifted to becoming human bombs is wild too. So much here for those who love to research the Pacific theater. Thanks so much for doing these interviews and posting it!