Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

just get a japanese imperial army sword, need help to go in deeper research

Article about: dear all, I am now in thailand, and I had the opportunity to buy a "presented like" japanese katana taken by a thai after war. here are some pictures of this sword. today I am just

Default just get a japanese imperial army sword, need help to go in deeper research

dear all,

I am now in thailand, and I had the opportunity to buy a "presented like" japanese katana taken by a thai after war.
    here are some pictures of this sword.

just get a japanese imperial army sword, need help to go in deeper researchjust get a japanese imperial army sword, need help to go in deeper researchjust get a japanese imperial army sword, need help to go in deeper researchjust get a japanese imperial army sword, need help to go in deeper researchjust get a japanese imperial army sword, need help to go in deeper researchjust get a japanese imperial army sword, need help to go in deeper researchjust get a japanese imperial army sword, need help to go in deeper research

today I am just an amateur that like authentic objects and I found this sword interesting,.... so I bought it..
    I spend the afternoon trying to know a bit more about the japase art of making swords and I found that was a kind of japanese imperial army guntô.

but there are some points that are missing in my research and make me doubt about the real origin of this sword.

I can't see any knot loop and spring clip....
    was that imperative for all the katana of japanese imperial army??

the scabbard is made with ray-skin wich make me think that this model could be a Kai-guntô used by the naval officers, but I 'am not sure...

do you have any idea or comments about the possible type of katana it could be....really hope this is not one of these chinese copy....
    but this would surprise me..

thanks in adance for your kind answers!

Default Re: just get a japanese imperial army sword, need help to go in deeper research

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    Unfortunately, I think your fears are well founded.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Default Re: just get a japanese imperial army sword, need help to go in deeper research

..... bad news....but thanks for your answer!

could you explain me a bit why you are arriving to this conclusion??

Better photos of the fittings would be needed to be absolutely sure but, the blade construction is my first clue.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I was also doubting as it is difficult to see the hamon of both sides.

here are some further pictures that may help you.. (sorry it's indoor.. but it's night over there...)

there is a series number on one part try to took it on the pictures, but can't find any others... (and I didn't try to unmount cause I'am not well equiped here.)

I have also tried to take the small default I can see at the base of the blade.
    it seems that the balde is not properly centered (axed)

and at last I think that the buckles to pass the belt to carry are not the proper ones... (all the pictures I've seen, there are round buckles, not rectangles...)

well you'll give me your commets...
    just get a japanese imperial army sword, need help to go in deeper researchjust get a japanese imperial army sword, need help to go in deeper researchjust get a japanese imperial army sword, need help to go in deeper researchjust get a japanese imperial army sword, need help to go in deeper researchjust get a japanese imperial army sword, need help to go in deeper researchjust get a japanese imperial army sword, need help to go in deeper researchjust get a japanese imperial army sword, need help to go in deeper researchjust get a japanese imperial army sword, need help to go in deeper research

Unfortunately this is a modern Chinese made copy that has little resemblance in detail and quality to a true Japanese sword. The acid etch on the blade to simulate steel grain is never found in true Nihonto. The kanji carved in the blade looks nothing like genuine Japanese carving. The sword mounting has no resemblance to the real thing. Return it if you can. It is a decorator, nothing more. I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

hi dear Bob,

thanks a lot for your comments.
    no worry about this, I knew that was the risk...

hope this post will help other people to not the same mistake.

and the purpose was to get a good decoration in living room so, the target will be 'half' achieved... even it's a bit expensive for what it is....

see you next time.

?

Perhaps some study at the linked site will assist in the future....

http://www.h4.dion.ne.jp/~t-ohmura/gunto_002.htm

Regards,
    Stu