Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

神 kamikaze 風

Article about: Yasukuni Shrine and the Yūshūkan (museum) in Chiyoda, Tokyo..Yasukuni Shrine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia note Kamikaze Pilot Commemoration Statue..these photos are from my l

Default 神 Kamikaze 風

Dear Forum Members,

I Would like to share some of my knowledge, and personnel opinion (Japanese perspective) on KAMIKAZE. As this is one of my favorite topics. Many people (including Japanese) were unaware of the truth behind KAMIKAZE. They were taught the wrong information at school since after The Great East Asia War (大東亜戦争 Dai TouA Sensou: Formal Japanese Term. 太平洋戦争 Taiheiyou Sensou ---Pacific War: Term started using after the war influenced by U.S.). Since I' m Japanese and a military buff, would like to use this thread to explain and exchanging information about KAMIKAZE and related materials. Please feel free to express your thoughts and feelings (might get emotional in some situations), but I hope this tread will help us better understanding more about one of the biggest mysteries of The Great East Asia War.

Thank you and regards,
    Taka

Topics would like to cover are: (Japanese and Western Perspectives)

- The history of KAMIKAZE
    - The use of Kamikaze (Recruiting, Before and after Missions, Tactics...)
    - Weapons used by KAMIKAZE (Ohka bomb, Maru-re Boats, Kaiten Human Torpedoes....)
    - Scenarios: Air/Air (Ramming B-29s), Air/Water (Aim for the Carriers), Water/Water (Yamato' s Final), Water/Underwater (Mine Sweeping Divers), Ground/Ground (Suicide Tanks)
    - Post War KAMIKAZE (What' s the message for us)

神 kamikaze 風 Photo (Left): Hit by anti-aircraft guns. A Japanese Kamikaze aircraft's final moment before plunging into Aircraft carrier U.S.S. Essex, off the Philippine Islands. November 25th, 1944.

日本帝國海軍 Nippon Tei-koku Kai-gun - Imperial Japanese Navy (Abbr, IJN)-----------神 kamikaze 風

日本帝國陸軍 Nippon Tei-koku Rikku-gun - Imperial Japanese Army (Abbr, IJA)-------神 kamikaze 風

神風 KAMIKAZE - Japanese meaning "God Wind", for English "Divine Wind". (Other pronunciation are Shinpu, or Ka he events. After 663 years (1944), the term was then used on the Special attacking unit against the invading Allied Forces. An attempt to recover from a hopeless situation, but failed at last.

特別攻撃隊 Tokubestu Kougekitai - Special Attacking Unit. 特攻 Tokkou for short. Referring using special weapons to commence a suicidal attack. There were two categories: 決死 Ketshi and 必死 Hitshi.

決死 Ketshi - Prepare to die, but with some chances of survival. (Ex. 甲標的 Kouhiyouteki- Midget Submarines ) However this term can be use on ordinary pilots (Japanese) because every mission is Ketshi.

神 kamikaze 風 Photo (Right): A Midget Sub now displaying at Etajima Navy Academy, Hiroshima.

必死 Hitshi - (Planned to die or Kamikaze missions) Loading bombs, explosives on aircafts, boats, submarines to perform a suicidal attack on targets. Inevitable death. In some rear situations, few pilots were able to survive after crashing into the sea.

There were quite a few methods for Kamikaze attacks: (List of terms, will be explained in detail later on)

空中特攻 (Kuu-chuu Tokkou) - Air to Air Tokkou (Aircraft to Aircraft)

水中特攻 (Sui-chuu Tokkou) - Underwater Tokkou (Submarine to Surface Vessels)

水上特攻 (Sui-jyou Tokkou) - Above Water Tokkou (Speedboats to Vessels)

空挺特攻 (Kuu-tei Tokkou) - Paratroop Tokkou (Paratroopers to Ground Targets)

陸上特攻 (Riku-jyou Tokkou) - Ground to Ground Tokkou (Tanks to Tanks)

The selecting of weapons depends on which type of Tokkou. After selecting, the next step is to choose the crews for the Tokkou.

There were two terms for the Tokkou crews:

特攻要員 (Tokkou You-inn) - Personnel that were needed for Tokkou. (Ready for training)

特攻隊員 (Tokkou Tai-inn) - Tokkou crews (When final order was given to the Tokkou personnel, which meant that they were qualified for "Official" Kamikaze pilot)

神 kamikaze 風 [SIZE=2]Photo (Left): - Chosen Tokkou personnel (IJN) of Unit 256 based in Shanghai Longhua (龍華) Base, China. The aircraft at the back might be a Nakajima Type 97 (3rd Variation) Torpedo Bomber. (Date Unknown)

Most Kamikaze pilots were aged 18~24 (average age would be 19), and youngest pilots were only 16 yrs. Estimation shows that around 5000+ (IJA/IJN pilots alone, not including other Tokkou) were perished. About 1/5 of them were student soldiers (学徒兵).

学徒兵 Gaku-to Hei - Student Soldiers. During 1943, Japan was short of military personnel. Students (ages 20 or above) with high-level education were to be drafted. In October, 1944 the drafting age deceased to 19. At the end, a total of 130,000 students were drafted, which also include students from Formosa (Now Taiwan), China, and Korea. From end of 1944~Aug 15, numerous Gaku-to Hei were became Kamikaze pilots.

神 kamikaze 風 神 kamikaze 風
    Photo (Left): Gaku-to Hei marching towards their barracks. (Date Unknown).......Photo (Right): Possible photo of (IJA) Gaku-to Hei pilots, before taking off. (Date unknown)
    Attached Images Attached Images 神 kamikaze 風 
    Last edited by SHINDENKAI; 08-25-2013 at 09:13 AM.

Interesting thread, thanks for posting it. I hope to see more interest generated soon, but I, regretfully, can not add any information of merit as this is not a field I've spent time studying. I will contribute a few of my opinions, which are, there's a twisted honor(may be the wrong choice of words) in one committing suicide for their country as long as its in warfare and not on civilians. It also seems that it was a very important part of the Japan's defense. I've just always been a believer in, "live to fight another day". Seem more logical and resourceful, but again, that's just my opinion. Thanks again for for creating this thread, and the information, too.
    Last edited by youthcollector1; 08-25-2013 at 06:47 AM.

many thanks for the info.

Very interesting infomation, thank you for sharing your knowledge on this subject.
    Strange enough i was watching Empire of the sun by Steven Spielberg and a few scenes deal with Kamikaze pilots about to fly away on a mission.

Thank you for your kind comments, gentlemen.

I' m young and still learning, so this is one of the ways to teach and learn at the same time.
    My goal now is to tell others the truths and details about Kamikaze as much as possible. And I will put my best effort on this tread. With photos and descriptions attached for better understanding. I wish I can meet some of those survivors, and hear their true stories. They are old individuals now and numbers are decreasing year by year. Young guy like myself or other people should share theses historic accounts and even pass them to the next generations.
    The pilots and their crews went through hell during the war, just hoping to live as long as possible. Most importantly, they have to protect their families and friends and let them live as long as possible (Even 1 minute or 1 second). Not even one single pilot shouted Banzai before stepping into their metal coffins because they were not fighting and sacrificing for the emperor. Most of them did n' t even leave anything but a last smile on their faces (saying good bye and telling you to live as long as possible!) before taking off, and won' t be able to see them again.....Try imagine that. This is just little part of the truth and I' m not glorifying or any.......

Taka
    Last edited by SHINDENKAI; 08-25-2013 at 09:45 AM.

The perceptive of the winners will always differ from that of the losers. Delighted to see the other sides position on such matters. I will continue to watch this thread with great interest, good job.

?

Hi Taka , i'm sure this thread will develop enormously as time goes by . It is an iconic subject in Japanese military history and in most cases is the first thing that springs to mind at the mention of the WW2 Japanese / American conflict . I would be great to analyse and learn more about all parts of this subject , including the mental psyche and patriotism of the country as a whole , both civilian and military . I feel that a lot of the propaganda was using the historically well documented Samuria class feudal system that was the norm in day's of yore ! Thanks for starting this interesting thread and your input so far !
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Typing Error:

神風 KAMIKAZE - Japanese meaning "God Wind", for English "Divine Wind". (Other pronunciation are Shinpu, or Kamukaze) It originated from the two typhoons that destroyed two separate attacks of the Mongolian Fleets, which they were about to invade Japan (Year 1274 and 1281). The miracle winds inspired lots of Japanese people's mind. After 663 years (1944), the term was then used on the (IJN)Special attacking unit against the invading Allied Forces. An attempt to recover from a hopeless situation, but failed at last.

Taka

?

Great post Taka! Thanks!

The "Predecessors" of KAMIKAZE

There were numerous historical accounts of both spontaneous and systematic suicidal attacks before the actual Kamikaze.

The first ever known Kamikaze attack (air-to-air) was happened during World War I. On August, 25th, 1914, a Russian pilot named Pyotr Nikolayevich Nesterov, was flying his Morane-Saulnier Type G (Unarmed Monoplane) which rammed into an Austrian Two-seated Reconnaissance plane Albatros B.II. Killing Nesterov himself, the pilot and the observer of the Albatros B.II.

Photo (Left): Photo of Russian pilot Pyotr Nikolayevich Nesterov. (May, 1914)

神 kamikaze 風 神 kamikaze 風
    Photo (Left): A three-viewed drawing of Morane-Saulnier Type G.......Photo (Right) An Albatros B.II. (Date Unknown).

神 kamikaze 風
    Photo (Left): Dramatic painting of the ramming attack of Pyotr Nesterov (Right aircraft). ......Photo (Right): Crash sight of Pyotr Nesterov's Morane-Saulnier Type G. (August 25th, 1914)
    Last edited by SHINDENKAI; 08-27-2013 at 06:26 AM.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast