Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

神 Kamikaze 風 Ohka 2 - Can you help the FAA Museum?

Article about: The Fleet Air Arm museum at Yeovilton is after a bit of help with one their exhibits BBC News - Somerset museum seeks kamikaze insignia translation help Naval Aviation Museum, Royal Navy Hel

Default 神 Kamikaze 風 Ohka 2 - Can you help the FAA Museum?

I can help them no problem, but in which division, or office I should mail to?

Regards,
    Taka

Quote by SHINDENKAI View Post
    I can help them no problem, but in which division, or office I should mail to?

Regards,
    Taka
    I would try the "contact us" part of the website!...

Thanks Gunny!

Cheers!
    Taka

No problems Taka!....

Here is the translation needed photo.

神 Kamikaze 風 Ohka 2 - Can you help the FAA Museum? Compare to another example: 神 Kamikaze 風 Ohka 2 - Can you help the FAA Museum?

Inside the square (From right to left) basically prints: (Right photo)

Fix the iron sight on top of the panel center at height of 150.0mm (15cm).

The left example has a different location : 148.0mm (14.8cm). Very Intersting !!!

I've send a mail to the museum, and hope they receive it.

Regards,
    Taka

Many thanks Taka,
    Hopefully they will be able to restore it in a similar fashion to the Corsair by removing all of the post war paint
    Corsair KD 431 - A Ground Breaking Project

Aircraft Details
    •Goodyear Built - FG1-A Type
    •Serial Number - KD 431
    •Bureau Number - 14862
    •Build Date - July/August 1944
    •U.S Contract Number - 1871
    •Factory Build Number - 1871

Can an aircraft that was re-painted many years ago be returned to its original paintwork: presuming it survives beneath the later layers?

If the original paintwork can be revealed, is it a financially feasible exercise and what will it add to our understanding of the aircraft?

In 2000 it was decided to use the Museum's Corsair FG-1 to pioneer this "whole aircraft" method of paintwork conservation. We believe this ground breaking project to be the first of its kind in the aviation Museum world.

Using techniques familiar to archaeologists and forensic scientists this project has revealed, after three years of painstaking work, a unique, time capsule aircraft. Inch by inch, layer by layer, the entire aircraft has been scrutinised, researched and carefully stripped of the paint finish applied in 1963, when the aircraft was first presented to the Fleet Air Arm Museum.

THE RESULT- A Corsair in as near to totally authentic and original condition from 1944 as it is possible to achieve. Paintwork, markings, stencilling, even the scratches and wear marks from the period are all original. Of the forty or so remaining Corsairs around the world (some in flying condition, some on display in Museums) there are no known examples in their truly original condition other than the Fleet Air Arm Museum's Corsair KD 431.

View of KD 431 after three years painstaking work. All of the paintwork, markings, scratches and wear marks are authentic and original from 1944-45.'
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 神 Kamikaze 風 Ohka 2 - Can you help the FAA Museum?  

?

That's great Taka-san that you have been able to assist the museum , well done
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Thanks, Alan-san.

Just got this reply from the museum:

"Dear Taka,

Thank you for your email regarding the Ohka. I am delighted to say that we have had several other offers of help and now feel we have the translation. Thank you so much for getting in touch regarding this and if we need further help in the future we may contact you again.

Kind regards

XXXXX XXXXX"

Taka

Taka-san,

良く出来ました !!
    Yoku dekimash!ta....!!

--Guy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast