Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Kamikaze pilot headband

Article about: by SHINDENKAI ...It refers to more than two people because they were joined in the same academy same time as a group. And correct me if I'm wrong, Taka-san ... the speaker is senior to the o

Quote by SHINDENKAI View Post
    ...It refers to more than two people because they were joined in the same academy same time as a group.
    And correct me if I'm wrong, Taka-san ... the speaker is senior to the ones he's addressing. My take is that it was the Group Commander. He addresses them very formally as Kisama [key-sama] (precious ones), and himself as "Ore" [おれ; oh-ray]; ore is used amongst friends as an informal "I".

Interestingly enough, AFTER 1945 the word "Kisama" is an insult as you talk down to an inferior -- and you expect a fist fight [no kidding]. However, up to 1945 it was polite. Here's TODAY's dictionary definition! Note that definition 2 is "archaic"

貴様 【きさま】 (pn,adj-no) (1) (sens) (derog) you; you bastard; you son of a bitch;(2) (arch) (polite) you
    Here's another:
    Quote by Wiktionary
    Noun

貴様 (hiragana きさま, romaji kisama)

you

This form is a rude form of "you" in Japanese. It's also used between enemies and is usually said by Japanese males when angry.

A [military] superior addressing his grunt.  [quotations ▼]

きさまはそのあとでやすめるのではとおもっているのか?
    Kisama wa sono ato de yasumeru no de wa to omotteiru no ka?
    Do you think you can rest after this?

Talking to an enemy or a rival.  [quotations ▼]

きさまはおれをたおせるとおもうか?
    Kisama wa ore wo taoseru to omou ka?
    Do you think you can defeat me?
    A bit of trivia: is also used as a boy's name, Takashi. So, [JOKE] ... if you want to write to your dear friend Takashi, you could write "Takeshi Sama" like this: 貴様 [okay, OKAY! bad joke!]

--Guy
    Last edited by ghp95134; 08-22-2013 at 01:22 AM.

Wow there is some really cool information here, larry you have a very neat item, my hinomaru flag has a nice poem/song on it comparing soldiers and civilians to cherry blossom pedals saying those who go off to war and those who stay behind will all eventually die.
    Last edited by maximus71; 08-21-2013 at 11:26 PM.

?

A very enjoyable thread , Thanks for showing the headband Larry , i like the material it is made from !
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Quote by Alan M View Post
    A very enjoyable thread , Thanks for showing the headband Larry , i like the material it is made from !
    The thread and the information provided by these 2 esteemed Gentlemen.."Shindenkai and GHP".....is quite overwhelming.

Please!!.... I stand off to side..and let you both continue on Greatest Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see. - Winston Churchill

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    And correct me if I'm wrong, Taka-san ... the speaker is senior to the ones he's addressing. My take is that it was the Group Commander. He addresses them very formally as Kisama [key-sama] (precious ones), and himself as "Ore" [おれ; oh-ray]; ore is used amongst friends as an informal "I".

Interestingly enough, AFTER 1945 the word "Kisama" is an insult as you talk down to an inferior -- and you expect a fist fight [no kidding]. However, up to 1945 it was polite. Here's TODAY's dictionary definition! Note that definition 2 is "archaic"

Here's another:

A bit of trivia: is also used as a boy's name, Takashi. So, [JOKE] ... if you want to write to your dear friend Takashi, you could write "Takeshi Sama" like this: 貴様 [okay, OKAY! bad joke!]

--Guy
    Hi Guy-san,

Thank you for the information, and the joke (never thought of that one )

I think kisama can be use between friends or colleagues as well, based on movies and anime. It feels weird because the word also mean (precious, noble, expansive). When it uses on a person, that shows respect. But nowadays it's just a rude term.........kind of sad to see a very decent word that turned into evil without a true reason.

Taka

?

It became vulgar because of military use, people outranking you would call you "Kisama" in derision so the current use came to be. At the same time before the war it was used between equals but this use was displaced by the bad reputation it accrued in the military.

Gentlemen the lesson has been most educational..but with your experience..along with what member Jareth has stated..in your humble opinion..would this head band due to the construction and print..be compatible with other factory worker types or the pilot themselves. .....another question would the material be the same for Both? regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see. - Winston Churchill

Here is one example of "factory worker style" Hachimaki for you reference:

神風 - Kamikaze

航空兵器総局長官 遠藤三郎 (Koukuu Heiki Soukyoku Choukan) - Aerial Weaponry Directorate General

遠藤三郎 - Endo Saburo (Last name first)

謹書 (Kinsho) - Signed or wrote by

Name:  A2232_I1.jpg
Views: 1255
Size:  39.7 KB Name:  A2232_I2.jpg
Views: 1577
Size:  36.8 KB Name:  A2232_I3.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  30.0 KB

I was told that once a military aircraft (IJN) was completed, the famous Warship March will be played inside the factory. At the same moment factory workers would shout BANZAI ! BANZAI !! BANBANZAI !!! and get back to work again. (Probably some of them would have thought or said "Oh~not again!")

Here is the Warship March:
    <軍*>軍艦行進曲(軍艦マーチ) - YouTube
    《軍*》軍艦マーチ("Gunkan māchi "~March "Man-of-War"~) With Eng/Sub - YouTube

Regards,
    Taka

This is a great example Mr. Taka..which clearly shows a difference between the one I posted and your factory worker variation. In your knowledgeable opinion..what variation would be considered my example to be?.........

........although funny those working in a factory there were those who probably wanted to go to work and just go home and not be bothered with the "Banzai" shouts....maybe in Japanese..they would say............."Same nonsense different day"

Hi Larry-san,

Here are some examples:

Plain Meat Ball

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d0130164_96416.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	558078

With 神風 (Kamikaze). Not a clear photo. (IJA Pilot)

Name:  jyunrei.jpg
Views: 1942
Size:  157.1 KB

An ultra rear version with the bomber Unit' s name 神雷 (Jinrai) - God Thunder (Unit which flew the suicide rocket Ohka Bombs). With a Bomber Unit and Group scarf. (IJN Pilot 1st Lieutenant 細川 八郎 Hosokawa Hachirou) Also notice a small IJN patch underneath the scarf (Left side) on the life vast .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kamikaze-pilot1.jpg 
Views:	5890 
Size:	177.5 KB 
ID:	558080

The Navy 16 ray

Name:  kamikaze.jpg
Views: 12248
Size:  35.2 KB

Hope they help.

Regards,
    Taka