Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Katana identification

Article about: Hello all, Can anyone help me identify what type of sword this is. Someone said it was for pilots but I have nothing to back this up. It's shorter than the typical Katana's. Blade is ~23 inc

MAP
    ?

Quote by Alan M View Post
    I have really enjoyed this thread and the journey you have had with your sword Michael . Great to see the before and after photos , the ugly duckling has become a beautiful swan once more , a sweet looking blade .
    Thanks Al,

A journey that still has not ended. This sword will be leaving me again as I need to send the sword back to Moses. I would like to present this blade to the Shinsa. There is one early in 2016. Given my work schedule I'm not sure I can get it to him in time so it may have to wait until August. But once it has been presented and if accepted, it will get authenticated and I will get the paperwork.

Stay tuned (may be another year!)
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

With an unsigned blade, the attribution is a best guess by the shinsa team. This is especially true with older men who are suffering from jet lag. I recall one unsigned katana that had three separate sets of papers. One to a mid 16th c. smith, the second to a late 17th c. smith and the third to a mid 19th c. smith. Two of the certificates came from the same organization. Unless the work is very distinctive, you may receive an attribution to a sword making group and an approximate age of the blade. The most important thing is to enjoy your blade for what it is and not what someone else says it may be.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

MAP
    ?

Thanks Bob. Really appreciate the advice. Again!!

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Beautiful sword there MAP! I have had several old gunto mounted swords through the years that had blades in need of polish or restoration not to mention one with bullet nicks on scabbard and blade glad you have the resources to restore it most collectors I know don't including myself. timothy

MAP
    ?

Quote by timothy View Post
    Beautiful sword there MAP! I have had several old gunto mounted swords through the years that had blades in need of polish or restoration not to mention one with bullet nicks on scabbard and blade glad you have the resources to restore it most collectors I know don't including myself. timothy
    Thanks Timothy.

It took over a year to restore and during that time I scrimped and saved to make it happen. To me it was about saving a real piece of history and less about having a show off piece or to turn a profit on it.

The way I think about it...this sword was made 500+/- years ago to a true Samurai and then handed down from father to son, cut down/modified over the generations until one sad time in the 1940's it was forever lost and then sat in a closet or garage as war booty until it found its way to me.

Now it has been restored to its former glory somewhat. I just wish it could speak so I could return it to the original rightful owners.

I’m glad to see this thread again and the amazing journey of this sword.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

MAP
    ?

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    I’m glad to see this thread again and the amazing journey of this sword.

Marty
    Thanks Marty. Glad it popped up again as well. The blade has been in the back of a display case for a number of years so I kind of forget about it. Which is not a good thing.

I should try and take better photos. What do you think?

Those old ones are going on 3 years and are pretty crappy. I have a much better camera now. But it is still very difficult to photograph these and will take quite some time to set up a good photoshoot. This won't fit in my lightbox.

If enough people are interested I'll see if I can find the time.

?

Yes please Michael
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

MAP
    ?

Quote by Alan M View Post
    Yes please Michael
    Ok Al. I'll see what I can do. Might be a few weeks or so. My next few weekends are all tied up

Stay tuned

MAP
    ?

Some updated photos...still a pain to photograph.

Katana identification

Katana identification

Katana identification

Katana identification

Katana identification

Katana identification

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast