Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Kyu-Gunto handle repair?

Article about: Hello, I've never posted in this forum because I manly collect TR stuff, however today I looked at a Kyu-Gunto. I loved it, everything is in pretty good shape and the price is very nice. The

?

Default Kyu-Gunto handle repair?

Hello,
    I've never posted in this forum because I manly collect TR stuff, however today I looked at a Kyu-Gunto. I loved it, everything is in pretty good shape and the price is very nice.
    The bad thing is the grip and fittings are very loose. It was a real deal breaker and I was very disappointed when I held it in hand.
    The question I have is, can this be tightened up at all? Is there any fix for a loose grip? The pommel looked like it's peened so I don't know if there is any way. Given the good price, I'm prepared to take small risks.

I'll attach a picture because every one likes pictures

Thank you very much for any advice.

Kyu-Gunto handle repair?

?

Would be easier if you can take it apart of course, but I've fixed a loose grip on an old knife by shimming splinters of wood into the gaps. Folded strips of paper may work also. Use a razor blade or hobby knife to cut off any excess that sticks out. This sort of repair doesn't alter any of the original parts or use any glue.

?

Thats not a bad idea, and it's not permanent if it does not work. I haven't bought it yet, but if I'm convinced I can fix it I will. I assume tightening it up along the length will also fix the rotational slop.