Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Light Weight Shingunto

Article about: Hello All Please forgive the rushed photos ,But I am so excited!! I was lucky enough to obtain an example of this elusive piece from a Gentleman whom I have done business with several times

Default Light Weight Shingunto

Hello All Please forgive the rushed photos ,But I am so excited!! I was lucky enough to obtain an example of this elusive piece from a Gentleman whom I have done business with several times before.Again he has exceeded my expectations.Here is an example of the "Lightweight" Shingunto From what I understand these were available for officers who were not in an immediate need of a heavier combat ready sword.Very "Dainty" indeed!! There is no sharpened edge and it would be barely able to cut cheese, but has all the features of the standard shingunto but more delicate and much lighter.

Regards,Geoff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Light Weight Shingunto   Light Weight Shingunto  

Light Weight Shingunto  

MAP
    ?

Never seen or heard of these before Geoff. But it looks great.

Maybe some more photos soon?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Very cool Geoff! Is the blade chromed?

Also, I'm on the road away from my books. It almost seems small enough for the child sword in one of the books. Do you have any references for this model?

Hey Bruce, the blade is chromed and is actually about three inches longer than the full sized Shingunto beside it in the photo.It is not a "Boys Day" sword.Trying to find my Dawson book I want to say there is a reference in there But not 100% sure...

Here is another quick Photo..All interior of components are marked with the # 2
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Light Weight Shingunto  

Ok, thanks. So it seems like the one in Dawson (I have and identical one!) but your just isn't fuller-grooved. My tsuka and saya, even the blade, are "thinner", but your tsuka seems even smaller than mine.

Verrrrrry Intelestink!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Light Weight Shingunto  
    Attached Images Attached Images Light Weight Shingunto  Light Weight Shingunto 

?

In European/Western sword collecting circles such swords are referred to as "Piquet Weight" swords, and are for dress occasions where a full weight blade is neither needed or desirable.

Thank you Dave, A "Piquet weight" piece makes perfect sense to me.A piece made by machine in my opinion was usually much different than a hand forged piece.However, an Individual who was "Walking the Halls" so to speak,May have a "Piece" that represented a Shingunto.A Parade sword in combat fittings so to speak.I would be willing to bet though that the individual had a true Shingunto.

Regards,Geoff

?

A fine example Geoff. In fact I don't recall having ever seen such a nice example.

Regards,
    Stu

Thank you Stu,I am even more honored that the Owner sent it to me before recieving payment.There are true gentlemen in this hobby yet!!

Merry Christmas My Friend!

Regards,Geoff

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast