Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for proper WWII Japanese sword

Article about: Hello all, I have not posted here forever due to a very busy schedule, but I am looking for a good dealer in which to buy a proper WWII Japanese sword. I have been shopping around but though

Default Looking for proper WWII Japanese sword

Hello all, I have not posted here forever due to a very busy schedule, but I am looking for a good dealer in which to buy a proper WWII Japanese sword. I have been shopping around but thought I would ask if anyone had any good thoughts or ideas on who I might contact before I go any further. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

?

Default Re: Looking for proper WWII Japanese sword

Perhaps you can tell us more regarding what kind of sword you are wanting. IJA Type 95 NCO as depicted in the thread pinned to the top of this Japanese sub forum? Army officer Type 98 Shin-gunto? Navy officer Type 97 Kai-gunto? Early or late configuration in their respective development line?

A nice wall hanger will run you from 800 - 2000 USD depending on what sort of sword you wish to buy. If your tastes run to salty then 500 - 1200 can easily get you something.

I used to be a TR collector. Sold it all and moved to Japanese swords some time ago. As a favor to TR collectors who I used to know and who want a single Japanese sword to hang on the wall I source out swords for them several times a year. Take some time to decide just what it is you want and then let me know. Chances are I can find you something at a better price than you will find on a dealer site.

If you need more help feel free to send me a PM.

Regards,
    Stu

?

Have a look here ...

Military Swords of Imperial Japan (Gunto)

Some of the images might assist.

Regards,
    Stu

Hello Stu, Thanks for the fast response. I realize that there are different variations but I would say that I would like to find a Shin Gunto type 94 or a Kaigunto style sword. I have been trying to study what is correct and what is not for these swords, but everytime I think I have it figured out, someone says that no, its not correct. If I could find a nice sword, clean blade, possibly signed tang, proper military mounts, and all matching, that is what I am looking for. I realize as condition goes, so does the price. I am not afraid to invest in a quality sword, but don't want to break the bank either, so if you have any ideas for me I would appreciate it. THanks so much for your time, this forum is so incredible with the people and the amount of knowledge here.

?

Check out this seller , i look in on him regularly .

showa22 | eBay
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

Quote by justbrowsin View Post
    Hello Stu, Thanks for the fast response. I realize that there are different variations but I would say that I would like to find a Shin Gunto type 94 or a Kaigunto style sword. I have been trying to study what is correct and what is not for these swords, but everytime I think I have it figured out, someone says that no, its not correct. If I could find a nice sword, clean blade, possibly signed tang, proper military mounts, and all matching, that is what I am looking for. I realize as condition goes, so does the price. I am not afraid to invest in a quality sword, but don't want to break the bank either, so if you have any ideas for me I would appreciate it. THanks so much for your time, this forum is so incredible with the people and the amount of knowledge here.

Hi,

A Type 94 can be obtained but I'll tell you know that the selection of Type 98 is far greater. Most folks wouldn't know one from the other. Regardless, I'll start watching and see what comes along. Nice Kai-gunto are readily available.

While we wait for the right one to come along have a look here ...

JAPANESE SHOWA ERA SWORDS

It's important to know how the terms are used. Particularly the term Gendaito. Literal and collector use vary. Perhaps you already know this but others who read this in the future may benefit from the link.

Talk later,
    Stu

PS: What's your name?

Hello Stu, my name is Brian. Sorry, I should end my posts that way, just a bad habit of mine. Please understand the information you pass on to me is wonderful as I have tried in the past to follow the proper terminology of swords and their makers, but have not had the right amount of time to sit and study as I should. Please feel free to send any information you have my way as its really great to talk to someone with the knowledge needed for this. Where I am from, there are VERY few military dealers and no one with any sword experience. I am not looking for a admirals or generals sword, and do not plan on making a collection of them, but just want a genuine correct sword. It sounds like you have the right connections and I am excited to see what you come up with. I am going to sit down and read all you send to me and educate myself on this subject. I did not realize how vast it really is. Hopefully someday I can return a favor to you. Thanks for everything.

Brian

Hello Brian,
    You can trust what Stu says and have confidence in anything that he is offering to be on the level. You will have a hard time finding anyone more trustworthy to deal with.
    JMHO
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thanks Ralph, I appreciate your words. That is exactly what I am looking for and I cannot wait to see what Stu comes up with. Also a big thanks to Alan for the ebay lead as I see so many different swords, but who do you trust? If Alan is ok with the ebay lead, then it must be good. Thanks for everyones help here, its nice to know I have come to the right place for this little adventure.

Brian

Hello Brian,
    I would also trust Alan's opinion.
    Here is a link to one that I picked up recently.
    My New,(old) Japanese Sword
    Here is a link to one that I have owned for about 25 years.
    My small Japanese collection.
    There are many different types to choose from.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast