Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Manchukuo Sake Tray in box

Article about: Just got this yesterday. Liked the map and flag of Manchukuo and the box. Supposed to have been found in a Tokyo Flea Market, and the box with it. When I got it home noticed the small writin

Default Manchukuo Sake Tray in box

Just got this yesterday. Liked the map and flag of Manchukuo and the box. Supposed to have been found in a Tokyo Flea Market, and the box with it. When I got it home noticed the small writing on the box side, if this is a stylised 'da' then it supports the box being the original to Ikedasan.
    The underside of the lid has a retailer's label, does this give a hint to where it was bought and maybe the regiment.
    Cheers,
    Tony
    Manchukuo Sake Tray in boxManchukuo Sake Tray in boxManchukuo Sake Tray in boxManchukuo Sake Tray in boxManchukuo Sake Tray in boxManchukuo Sake Tray in boxManchukuo Sake Tray in box?

Part of the store address on the label mentions the "Toyama Regiment", which was the nickname for the 35th Infantry Regiment, who returned from the Manchurian Incident to Toyama on 26th May 1932. So the tray dates from that time.

The address mentions the regiment because these shops were normally located in front of the main gate of the regiment. Ikeda was the guy, who gave this tray to someone he was particularly indebted to.

These were gifts to those who saw him off to war and the normal people got sake cups from him and these more expensive items were for people like the town mayor, etc. The name on the box is not his, as these items one did not buy for oneself anyway.

Hi Nick,
    Thanks, great info as always. I take it that the inscription on the front of the tray just says something about Manchurian service, can see that the first 2 kanji are Manchukuo.
    Re the box lid, assumed that it said Ikeda to identify to the retailer who the customer was, but you reckon this is not Ikeda but a different name?
    Hope you are fully recovered from the Krankenhaus.
    Cheers,
    Tony

The wording on the tray says "Commemorating the triumphant return of the Manchuria expeditionary force." Unfortunately the Krankenhaus is still not behind me. I have to go back in tomorrow. Hopefully they will go for a solution rather than beat around the bush with tests this time.

Thanks Nick. Best wishes for tomorrow.
    Tony