Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Map case translation

Article about: Ciao i have this map case with up write the name and division, 信 17014 div. ohiwa company. mukai toshi , some have more info up this Division and this company? Thanks

?

Default Map case translation

Ciao i have this map case with up write the name and division, 信 17014 div. ohiwa company. mukai toshi , some have more info up this Division and this company? Thanks

Map case translation

?

a better picture

Map case translation

Map case translation
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Map case translation  

They were one of the depot supply units for the 38th army specializing in general freight, excluding weapons and ammo. Commanded by a financial admin officer and staffed by Gunzoku civilians.

?

Thanks you very much Komiya san

Owners like to know as much info as possible, so pardon me if I tag along with Nick's explanation.

大岩部隊向井年
    Ōiwa Corps, Mukai Toshibumi
    The owner's name was Mukai. I'm 99% confident of the given name, though I was having trouble with that last kanji ... I'm fairly certain it is ; ergo, the colored ideogram.

信第一七〇一四部隊
    Shin 「Shingō」Dai 17014 Corps
    Signals Corps No. 17014

信 is shorthand for 信号隊, Shingō-tai.

Here's an English article about a surviving telegrapher [video is in Japanese] who sends telegraph messages to his fallen comrades.

--Guy

Rod
    ?

Cool!

(Code name) "Sin" 信17014 = 38th Army Field Freight Depot

The 38th Army HQ were in Saigon, Vietnam, it was first active in December 1944. The 38th Army was a field army replacement for the Indochina Garrison Army as the area anticipated a possible U.S. invasion and the natives were showing signs of disaffection towards the Japanese.

My info has it the 38th Army Field Freight Depot had an authorized strength of 756 men.

?

thank you for the info Guy and Rod

Quote by Rod View Post
    (Code name) "Sin" 信17014 = 38th Army Field Freight Depot. The 38th Army HQ were in Saigon, Vietnam, it was first active in December 1944. ...
    Rod,

Wow! I thought the "shin" 信 referred to a signals unit! No wonder I often tell people I am *not* an expert. Thanks for setting the record straight -- and my thanks to Nick for not eviscerating me.

-- Guy

Rod
    ?

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    Rod,

Wow! I thought the "shin" 信 referred to a signals unit! No wonder I often tell people I am *not* an expert. Thanks for setting the record straight -- and my thanks to Nick for not eviscerating me.

-- Guy
    Thanks Guy! I always feel badly correcting these small faux pas with the little knowledge I have. On the other hand your "grace under fire" is a great example to all who visit these boards. As the kids say, "Respect!"

Cheers, Rod