Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Markings on Arisaka

Article about: I am inheriting a T97 sniper rifle from my grandfather and had a quick question about some markings. The "mum" is intact however, it is painted white. I have been looking around at

Default Markings on Arisaka

I am inheriting a T97 sniper rifle from my grandfather and had a quick question about some markings. The "mum" is intact however, it is painted white. I have been looking around at Arisaka 99's and 97's, and I have seen them with or without the paint. I know some people believe that this is a post-war addition, but I just don't see the reason why this would be added post-war. Let me know what you guys and gals think. Thanks

Ray

If you need pics please let me know. I will try and get some. I do not have the rifle yet however, I just want to know. Thanks again

?

A picture would be most helpful.

There was a time when collectors/owners highlighted rifle markings by infilling them with white paint or other substances. It made the markings easily discernible and helped them stand out. I personally have never been all that fond of the practise. Something less permanent like chalk that is easily removed is a better option if one is so inclined to distinguish markings (IMO).
    Regards,
    John

Markings on ArisakaMarkings on ArisakaJohn,

Sorry for the late reply. Here are the only picture I have right now of the Arisaka T97 Sniper. It is still in Indiana. My grandfather was in the Japanese theater in WW2 and he picked this up as he was going through the jungle over there. If I look at the markings it looks like it came that way with the paint on it. It looks painted and worn evenly. Let me know what you and everyone else think. Thanks

Ray
    Attached Images Attached Images Markings on Arisaka 

?

Very nice Nagoya arsenal type 97 sniper rifle! Finding a full mum on a sniper is very rare. I have seen white highlighted markings numerous times. I can assure you with absolute certainty this wasn't done by Japanese but by collectors & owners post war. Usually to make markings cleaner for photography

?

Beautiful rifle, thanks for the pictures. The highlighting is typical of collector application.
    Regards,
    John

MAP
    ?

Nice one! Another one on my "to get" (but probably never will) bucket list.

Did you ever get to ask your Grandfather if he put this paint on. Per Jareths point (and I agree with his opinion), this was not done by the Japanese but your rifle could be a good case study if in fact your Grandfathers story is true and he did not put the paint on.

I know of a vet bring back Nambu that has white paint on the markings (plus some green and red on the safety catch). In looking at it under a 40x loop, the paint appears to be very old, cracked, chipped, etc with heavy patina on top. The story is the Vet said he picked it up like this in the field and it sat in a closet in it's original holster untouched until sold....but there is no way to verify........and we all know what stories are worth....but something that always got me wondering.......

Regards,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Very nice Original Sniper rifle.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Michael,

I never asked him, because to me it seemed original. He also has a T38 <----"I think" that he picked up over there that has the dust cover and has Japanese markings on the sling. I don't know if I am inheriting that one, but I will at least get some pictures of it but it may be a while. I will have to ask my grandmother when I talk to her next time. Thanks everyone for the replies

MAP
    ?

Quote by rayvinton View Post
    Michael,

I never asked him, because to me it seemed original. He also has a T38 <----"I think" that he picked up over there that has the dust cover and has Japanese markings on the sling. I don't know if I am inheriting that one, but I will at least get some pictures of it but it may be a while. I will have to ask my grandmother when I talk to her next time. Thanks everyone for the replies
    Thanks for posting it! You have a great piece! Glad that you have a nice piece of family history.... and maybe you'll also get the T38.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)