Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Meatball - Unsure of this one

Article about: Nice overall condition I think. Hopefully my pics will help determine if authentic. Thanks for your time.

Default Meatball - Unsure of this one

Nice overall condition I think. Hopefully my pics will help determine if authentic. Thanks for your time.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Meatball - Unsure of this one   Meatball - Unsure of this one  

Meatball - Unsure of this one   Meatball - Unsure of this one  

祈武運長久
    Wishes for continued luck in the fortunes of war

俟凱旋
    Waiting for your triumphal return

藤川正君
    Fujikawa Tadashi-kun
    Mr. Fujikawa Tadashi

I'm just guessing at "Tadashi" since that's my uncle-in-law's name; 正 has many other readings.

--Guy

Looks OK to me. It exhibits some subtle pre-war spelling not used postwar.

Not only were there pre-war Kanji, but Hiragana and Katakana, the phonetic simple characters were used in different combination before 1945.
    For instance, Butterfly in phonetics was written てふてふ, which modern Japanese will read as Tef Tef, but actually it was read as Chou-Chou, which after 1945 was written as ちょうちょう.

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    Not only were there pre-war Kanji, but Hiragana and Katakana, the phonetic simple characters were used in different combination before 1945.
    For instance, Butterfly in phonetics was written てふてふ, which modern Japanese will read as Tef Tef, but actually it was read as Chou-Chou, which after 1945 was written as ちょうちょう.
    NOOOOOOoooooooooooooo!!! JUST NOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Sheesh ... I was aware of a few obscure hiragana that are no longer used .... but I **NEVER** knew about the "tehu-tehu/choh-choh" ... I guess it is kinda-sorta the equivalent of the confusion beginners have with the old kunrei system of romanization, where "shi" was romanized as si, "chi" was romanized as ti, "tsu" as tu, etc. .... but that, I understand.

--Guy

By the same token, "Today" was written as けふ (Kefu by today's reading) before and now きょう, but both were pronounced Kyou. You need to know all these to read wartime documents.

Thank you gentlemen. Could not find any info on Fujikawa Tadashi-kun / Mr. Fujikawa Tadashi. Any way to determine the village or city location for this soldier?

Quote by Von Ritt View Post
    Thank you gentlemen. Could not find any info on Fujikawa Tadashi-kun / Mr. Fujikawa Tadashi. Any way to determine the village or city location for this soldier?
    The short answer is “no.” It would be the equivalent of trying to find a John Richards who joined the army between 1940-1945. The surname and given name both are very common.

—Guy