Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Men behind the sun (unit 731)

Article about: A truly cruel, naturalistic film. I have been thinking for a long time how to evaluate this film, because the films showing the torture of people and animals do not take me. Finally, especia

?

Default Men behind the sun (unit 731)

Men behind the sun (unit 731)A truly cruel, naturalistic film. I have been thinking for a long time how to evaluate this film, because the films showing the torture of people and animals do not take me. Finally, especially with regard to the fact that the film is based on reality, I tend to be highly rated. For I cannot get rid of the impression that such films, which show indiscriminately what a person is capable of within their own and other kinds, should be made and seen by as many people as possible.
    If this was entirely according to real events, I will not speculate. But there was no doubt that such atrocities were happening during the war. I must really point out that this film is not for the weak nature. The level of tyrannical sadism is exceeded here despite my bar. The worst thing about the whole thing is that the "researchers" took this very seriously and did not offend their behavior at all. In fact, they sometimes laughed - like fools. The worst of all was the genocide of one Chinese ethnic group, when these prisoners had virtually no chance of escaping. The film was made in a strange way - non-European and non-American, and perhaps that was why it had such a sharp and naturalistic aroma. As for the sadistic scenes we could see in the film (not that I wanted to make a hit parade), I was very disgusted by the skinning of the frozen hand, the pressure in the pressure room and ... the cat too. In conclusion, I would not recommend the film to weaker characters, but I think that people should always keep in mind what a person can actually do during the atrocities. So it can be said that the film was a weak decoction of war horrors that few people can imagine in today's consumption period.

?

Thank you Kekel for the review ,
    I am well aware of what Unit 731 did. As a matter of fact I believe that some of those that did these testing were granted immunity due to the research into diseases they perform" For the greater advancement of Science and medicine" Such a term that describes atrocities in the name of Medicine leaves a foul taste in ones mouth.

This looks like a older flick, 2014?? or is there a newer movie out?

So I take it's, not one to take the wife too???

Semper Fi
    Phil

A truly apalling story covered in "Factories of Death" by Sheldon Harris.

The undertone to this dreadful tale is the justificatation of frustrating Soviet ambition in the far east (and by extrapolation the wider world) at the expense of there being no real war crimes trials in Japan at least to any meaningful degree.

A bit like capturing the German rocket scientists before the Soviets did but in a much more disturbing scenario albeit it an understandable one in strategic if not humanitarian terms.

I appreciate the outcome but it does not make me feel good!

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 11-16-2019 at 02:07 AM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Hey the cat didn't die--

Did the cat really die?

No. Director T.F. Mou has recently debunked it in a biographical documentary currently in production.

The cat was covered in colored honey and then thrown into the rat pit, where the rats simply licked the honey off the cat. If one has the stomach to look closely at the scene, you'll see that the rats never bite the cat, the blood has the consistency and color of dyed honey, the cat never develops any realistic looking flesh wounds and the cat never fully stops moving.

Mou has simply shied away from the topic in the past because he believes it hypocritical to be upset over a cat when the point of his film is to show the desecration of humanity by other humans.

?

the movie was shot in 1988 wife on this film certainly not !!

?

I can also recommend the documentary: Holocausto - Los Campos de Concentración Al Descubierto and a very nice Hungarian film: Saul's son and the photographer of mauthausenMen behind the sun (unit 731)Men behind the sun (unit 731)Men behind the sun (unit 731)

I still have the VHS cassette of Men behind the Sun lying around somewhere. An intense and unpleasant viewing experience and not for the squeamish, indeed.

It's also very different from anything seen in Western cinema on such subject matters in that it is ultra-graphic and explicit in its realistic depiction of the vilest atrocities imaginable while never feeling like some cheap voyeuristic geek show for the gorehound market: This is a well-made, well-acted and dead serious affair, which at times feels almost like a documentary in its cold, sober approach. (Some will disagree with me, here; but just compare this with trash like the Ilsa movies to see what I mean.)

I'd say it is worth watching (for those who can stomach it; it's definitely not for everybody), but this is the sort of film most viewers wouldn't want to watch a second time.

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    This looks like a older flick, 2014?? or is there a newer movie out?
    It's a Hong Kong movie made in 1988, but it hasn't lost its punch.

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    So I take it's, not one to take the wife too???
    Hell, no.
    Last edited by HPL2008; 11-16-2019 at 11:35 AM.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    I still have the VHS cassette of Men behind the Sun lying around somewhere. An intense and unpleasant viewing experience and not for the squeamish, indeed.

It's also very different from anything seen in Western cinema on such subject matters in that it is ultra-graphic and explicit in its realistic depiction of the vilest atrocities imaginable while never feeling like some trashy voyeuristic geek show for the gorehound market. This is a well-made, well-acted and dead serious affair, which at times feels like a documentary in its cold, sober approach.

Worth watching (for those who can stomach it), but it's the sort of film most viewers wouldn't want to watch a second time.

It's a Hong Kong movie made in 1988, but it hasn't lost its punch.

Hell, no.
    To be honest, the book, which is a non-dramatised historical account was pretty much enough for me despite the fact that I am not sqeamish or easily shocked and never watch anything dealing with such matters for "entertainment" per se. However, I do wonder if this might be a film that people possessed of the modern "pink and fluffy" outlook on the world should perhaps watch from an educational perspective?

Thanks for starting the debate.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

yes sir HPL in all I agree with you !!! it is not a dozen film, but at least in my case he has filled his apprenticeship. as I wrote above I AM NOT a fan of killing animals or torturing and killing people. I tried to follow the sequel but the first is and will be the best. at least for me.

?

for watchdog...in today's modern world when young people go from display to display they would have a film without a basic knowledge of the Japanese "style" which always deviated not only in World War II would be useless, and watching this film for pleasure to experience the cruel reality.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast