Become our sponsor and display your banner here

My Grandfather Affidavit as the Civil Employee in the Japanese Armed Forces

Article about: After decorating my collection cabinet especially arranging my late grandfather old archives, i decide to share this interesting letter from the japanese era. Below is the translation from t

Lightbulb My Grandfather Affidavit as the Civil Employee in the Japanese Armed Forces

After decorating my collection cabinet especially arranging my late grandfather old archives, i decide to share this interesting letter from the japanese era.
    Below is the translation from the attached archive:

Affidavit

Who’s signed below, I, an indonesian named Darjono AKA Hardjowidagdo declare that in order to be appointed as the city of Tegal Yubin Kyoku (Post and Telegram Office) employee.
    1. He swear he will served and loyal to the Japanese Armed Forces and will do any order and control from the Japanese Authority without any question,
    2. To proved that loyalty he will do his best as he could to tribute his experience and his knowledge to the Military Government, so it will bring the benefit,
    3. He will guard any secret strongly from the Military Government with careful,
    4. He will not leave his post by his own will, but by permission from the authority,
    5. He will not use his rank to search his own benefit, will not initiate trading for his own benefit too, or receiving bribe or present from anyone, beside from the express permission from the Military Authority,
    6. He will not talk or do anything unfit as an employee who do his duty in the Japanese Armed Forces,
    7. If his men did not obey the rule mentioned above, he will bear the responsibility.
    Beside, who’s signed below ready to receive hard punishment from the Government Authority if there’s a mistake regarding the aforementioned rule above.

Tegal, 20 Jugatsu 2604 (20 October 1944)

During that time, my grandfather is 19 years old when he joined the Tegal yubin kyoku.

The post office during the dutch era. Tegal is in Central Java btw.

Before that, he joined the Tyubu Java Denki Jigyo Kosha (electric company) in the same town, with the same rank as jimujoshu (assistant clerk) in October 23th 1942. He finally resigned from his job in April 15th 1946 and he joined with the Indonesian Marine and later married my grandmother. He joined the marine maybe he knew some japanese or allied communication and secret so he could use this knowledge and information in there. Finally his service ended when he's captured by the Dutch Forces in July 25th 1947, i guess near Tegal. His last post in the army is Chief of Finance with the rank of Sea Sergeant. Alas i can't find any of his military identity card or paybook. Maybe it's impounded by the Dutch MID (Militaire Intellegentie Dienst - Military Intelligence Service) during his detention.
    Interestingly, he's detained again by the Dutch even after he worked as civil servant in the dutch service a year later. Maybe because his ex indonesian army status or he prepared some anti dutch underground movement ... who knows.

The HvG (Huis van Gevangenis - prison) Tegal where my grandfather imprisoned twice. First as POW, second as political prisoner.

Btw hope the short story and importantly this affidavit archive can help anyone in here.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sumpah 1.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	612321  
    Last edited by feldgrau33; 12-18-2013 at 06:44 AM. Reason: fixing the translation