Become our sponsor and display your banner here

My Japanese items.

Article about: I don't collect Japanses items but I picked up these few as a group a few years ago. There is a 'maetball' flag with Kanji, three photos and a handful of paper money. I must confess my ignor

?

Default My Japanese items.

I don't collect Japanses items but I picked up these few as a group a few years ago. There is a 'maetball' flag with Kanji, three photos and a handful of paper money.
    I must confess my ignorance if I have the flag upside down but I really have no idea which way it goes.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	U-406 042.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	265.1 KB 
ID:	293268   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	U-406 046.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	255.9 KB 
ID:	293273  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	U-406 055.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	286.7 KB 
ID:	293270   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	U-406 052.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	283.3 KB 
ID:	293272  

Name:	U-406 053.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	270.9 KB 
ID:	293271   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	U-406 051.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	218.7 KB 
ID:	293274  

Name:	U-406 056.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	286.4 KB 
ID:	293269   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	U-406 058.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	275.2 KB 
ID:	293275  

Default Re: My Japanese items.

Nice flag and I like the combat picture. If you look hard at the kanji you will see it was signed by his relatives as he went off to the war. The bold lettering is the soldiers name. Nice grouping!

Very nice items, Adrian! Thanks for showing.

Regards

?

Very nice Adrian,the first picture is the right one for the kanji,the large kanji across the top says ..continued luck in the fortunes of war...a common slogan on these flags.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

Interesting grouping but I have my doubts about the flag. For the most part the Japanese usually wrote the main slogan "buunchokyu" across the top of the long portion of the flag with the signatures arrayed around the hinormaru, just like how you have place your flag, but the big kanji repositioned 90 degrees clockwise. Also, the kanji looks to have been copied by someone who did not learn calligraphy formally. Lots of squiggles in the signatures that are unclear. I am by no means an expert with kanji, but I have seen quite a few of this style of flag up for sale over the past few years to have my doubts. Not to say that it is not wartime made--it just might be a Seabee creation during the war, which is becoming quite collectible in its own right. You might want to have someone well versed in war time written Japanese to give it a once over. Hope this helps.

Tom

?

I think you could be right Tomp.
    Last edited by zwerge; 01-17-2012 at 08:13 PM.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

Thank your for the comments so far, I appreciate them. It might be the way I've postioned the flag? The kanji has soaked through to the other side of the flag and is on the reverse as a mirror image as you see above. I'll try and take some more pics of the kanji over the next few days if it will help.