Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My new Japanese NCO Sword

Article about: I just wanted to share the newest addition to my collection with my friends here at the forum. My NCO sword matching numbers with painted aluminium handle and iorn tsuba. I was able to pick

Default My new Japanese NCO Sword

I just wanted to share the newest addition to my collection with my friends here at the forum. My NCO sword matching numbers with painted aluminium handle and iorn tsuba. I was able to pick up the sword from a local auction house. Hopefuly the first of many Shin Guntos to come. Cheers, Robert
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My new Japanese NCO Sword   My new Japanese NCO Sword  

My new Japanese NCO Sword   My new Japanese NCO Sword  

My new Japanese NCO Sword   My new Japanese NCO Sword  

?

Default Re: My new Japanese NCO Sword

What a super find Robert ! Fabulous condition and carrying a nice leather knot , i think it`s great and thanks for showing it
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

Nice NCO!
    Are there any visible stamps in the fuchi at all?

Tom

Thanks Alan and Tom, I had been wanting one of these swords for awhile. Tom there are no stamps on the fuchi. Cheers, Robert
    Last edited by TNcollector; 07-05-2012 at 01:20 AM.

Does anyone have any books on WWII Japanese swords they recommend? I was thinking about getting a copy of Swords of Imperial Japan by Jim Dawson.

?

I highly recommend Jim's book, lots of great close up pics. and nice NCO section with variations, etc. Plus a lot of great info. on unusual swords manuf. during Japan's expansionist era including colonial swords, Manchukuo, etc. The Fuller and Gregory publications are good if somewhat dated, not to mention Military and Civil Swords and Dirks is quite pricy now. (I might be mistaken on this, but Military and Civil Swords etc. was the only place where I saw a numbers breakdown of NCO swords, specifically what serial number groupings went with which maker, etc.--if you are interested in pursuing NCOs in particular) If interested in shrine related swords, you might want to get The Yasukuni Swords: Rare Weapons of Japan 1933-1945 by Tom Kishida. A final recommendation is Slough's Oshigata book on Modern Japanese Swordsmiths, 1868-1945-- a great reference showing the signatures on sword tangs from major swordsmiths during WW2 and before. This book turns up on ebay and usually sells around $100. Hope this helps.

Tom

?

Congrats. looks to be in fine condition.

?

Nice find.

Beautiful condition. A top find

Cheers
    Jason

?

they dont get any better looking than that! nice find.
    andrew

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast