Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mystery helmet

Article about: I got two helmets from Java a few weeks ago, one is a regular looking T90 but the other one was just weird; I'm thinking it could be either civvie or one of the pre T90 hemets. However, it's

?

Default Mystery helmet

I got two helmets from Java a few weeks ago, one is a regular looking T90 but the other one was just weird; I'm thinking it could be either civvie or one of the pre T90 hemets. However, it's pretty heavy (about as heavy/slightly heavier than a hikishop T90 repro with the liner and whole spiel) and seems to be made of steel unlike the civvie ones I've handled. Plus it's from Java. The cockade has been added after the fact. What could it be? :giveup:
    1. It doesn't seem to be a Swedish helmet with holes drilled in
    2. It doesn't seem to be an early size small T90
    3. The holes seem pretty precise

And yes, the inside is rather blue.
    Last edited by haru; 11-05-2013 at 02:10 PM.

?

Could be a heavier gauge last ditch/ civilian defense helmet that was modified (extra holes) post war. You see these extra holes on type 90's retro fitted by Thailand or other Asian countries. Navy insignia is a copy/ fake

?

If it is civilian (I hope it is not but it is looking likely) why do you think it was in Indonesia???

?

Who knows how it got there? Post war resale, puppet troops, surplus sale, etc. I've seen that blue paint before & it's always been on Indonesian helmets

?

Hmnnn I did find info somewhere that 防空鉄帽 (Luftschutz helmet, used by the interior ministry) was about the same weight as the Type 90. The holes don't match up but if they were done after the war that could be what it is.

?

I know I'm being hopeful here but this is what I "want" my helmet to be: early type helmet
    Japanese Forces - nambu pistol and katana sword
    1932, Shanghai Incident

Obviously without the evidence, I'm inclined towards postwar-messed with Luftschutz helmet as previously mentioned.

?

An interesting photograph Haru !
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

One can always hope BUT this isnt anything other than a late helmet

?

Of course, so this is conclusively a postwar-drilled Air Defense helmet?

Quote by haru View Post
    I got two helmets from Java a few weeks ago, one is a regular looking T90 but the other one was just weird; I'm thinking it could be either civvie or one of the pre T90 hemets. However, it's pretty heavy (about as heavy/slightly heavier than a hikishop T90 repro with the liner and whole spiel) and seems to be made of steel unlike the civvie ones I've handled. Plus it's from Java. The cockade has been added after the fact. What could it be? :giveup:
    1. It doesn't seem to be a Swedish helmet with holes drilled in
    2. It doesn't seem to be an early size small T90
    3. The holes seem pretty precise

And yes, the inside is rather blue.
    Hello haru, i think the helmet what you got there is just like jareth said itís a last ditch made helmet. And youíre lucky because i never found that helmet before in here. Attached below i put some photos of that helmet used during indonesian independence war 1945-49. Also beside that helmet, the indonesian or maybe the japanese occupation forces also made another mysterious helmet. Similar with the british mark III turtle helmet. As you can see on the upper side of the photos collage.
    Oh and about the inner paint color, i think during post war that helmet was also used by the same branch of indonesian forces with my mysterious fire helmet .
    And if you dont mind, may i know where did you got that helmet? Is it in Jakarta? Surabaya? or Solo?

Anyway if you want to checked the photos more clearly, here's the links:
    KITLV Digital Media Library - Parade door de TNI voor de Gubernuran te Jogjakarta ter gelegenheid van het bezoek van de Goodwill missie uit de Negara Indonesia Timur
    KITLV Digital Media Library - Parade door de TNI voor de Gubernuran te Jogjakarta ter gelegenheid van het bezoek van de Goodwill missie uit de Negara Indonesia Timur
    Fotocollectie Ľ Een militaire wapenshow door Republikeinen na een grootscheepse manoeuvre, Solo/
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mysterious ones.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	595314  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast