Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Named Japanese helmet

Article about: G'day every one, i was hoping someone could tell me about this Helmet? Is it Military or civilian? WW2? Army, Navy? doesn't look quite like the other Army lids ive seen. Cheers Phill.

Default Named Japanese helmet

G'day every one, i was hoping someone could tell me about this Helmet? Is it Military or civilian? WW2? Army, Navy? doesn't look quite like the other Army lids ive seen.
    Cheers Phill.Named Japanese helmetNamed Japanese helmetNamed Japanese helmetNamed Japanese helmetNamed Japanese helmet

Default Re: Named Japanese helmet

Hi Phil,
    This thread is of a similar one - consensus was that it was for civil defense - still looks cool man!
    Japanese Helmet

Cheers, Dan

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Hi Phil,
    This thread is of a similar one - consensus was that it was for civil defense - still looks cool man!
    Japanese Helmet

Cheers, Dan
    You da Man Dan thanks Bud, spot on link

- - Updated - -

Any idea what it's worth?

very nice looking example phill, i like this a lot great find and thanks for sharing ,james

I believe its civil defense. Its great looking helmet.
    Congrats on a nice find.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

?

Definitely a militia/civil defense Japanese helmet. Someone has added an IJA star to it to confuse things abit. Value is $40 to $60 I believe, but I have not looked lately. Check out eBay for more up to the minute pricing.

Mike

Be wary, as the star emblem on it might be a repro !

I've a relic Civil Defense lid with a 'Naval Landing
    Force' emblem attached to it...........
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Named Japanese helmet  
    Regards,

Steve.

but were some of these civil defense helmets used by combat units?

?

There has never been any photo proof of the use of the militia/civilian helmet in actual combat. In the past few years we have seen the addition of the IJA star or the NLF anchor to these in an attempt to sell them as combat helmets. Some Japanese vendors even do this. They also call them "Army" helmets; but as best we know they were meant for civil defense in Japan. However, and there were a wide vriety of styles and insigina attached to these, some may have ended up on bttlefield islands on the heads of mining engineers and other ancillary trrops, but not for combat purposes. The prices generally stay low. The kanji inside the rim generally refers to the prefecture and work unit of the wearer.

Mike

very nice original find woodsnake