Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Naval katana

Article about: Hello Im thinking about purchasing a Japanese Naval officers sword the seller claims its an old family blade fron the 1500's. What should I look for on the blade the blad is unsigned? Any in

Default Naval katana

Hello Im thinking about purchasing a Japanese Naval officers sword the seller claims its an old family blade fron the 1500's. What should I look for on the blade the blad is unsigned? Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you.

All I can say is, if you don't have a clue, post photos before agreeing to a price.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Without having knowledge of blade styles, about the only thing telling of age (if the Rand hasn’t been cleaned) is old corrosion. Ideally, the older a blade is the blacker and thicker the rust on the tang.

Of course the other giveaway to newness would be Arsenal stamps.

?

This might be a dumb question to add to this thread. But I know in Japanese history they had many sword hunts . Would a family blade from the “1500’s” not of been confiscated within Japan in the 1800s?

Quote by Jjs92186 View Post
    Naval katana
    Old blade cut-down. Can we see a color full-length "cheese-cake" photo of the entire blade & tang? I can't date the blade, but there are those here who can give you an idea.

--Guy

Im waiting for a full blade picture still. Naval katana

Quote by Jjs92186 View Post
    Im waiting for a full blade picture still.
    Ask for the seller to tell you how long the blade is. Japanese blade-length is measured in a straight line along the BACK of the blade; from the tip, to the collar-notch. See image below lifted from here.

That will help the experts to get a better idea of perhaps the original length.

--Guy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Naval katana  

The cutting edge of the blade its self is 55 cm

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast