Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

NCO Gunto (?) in Java. Should i buy this?

Article about: That is a great possibility..as in the Edged Weapons Forum..we encounter endless mismatched knives and bayonets..to their scabbard counterpart..I would not doubt that the same thing happened

That is a great possibility..as in the Edged Weapons Forum..we encounter endless mismatched knives and bayonets..to their scabbard counterpart..I would not doubt that the same thing happened here. The thinking..would be..." if it fits together..then it is usable". No telling somewhere along the timeline that one part was separated from the other as we see this mostly with bayonets of all types. Some swords curvatures were as closely made as others from other countries. Still an interesting combination you found Feldgrau!!...and good detective work in providing a pic of a Dutch scabbard Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thank you sir. I really love this kind of detective work in here.

Nevertheless, there's still a mystery shrouding the military equipment made by indonesian during those period. As far as i know, the indonesian guerrilla manage to made the tekidanto 'knee mortar', and there's some photography evidence about some mysterious helmet made during the same period. Also in my possession, i have a british style mortar shell possibly made during that period too. And i think it need a long time to solve all of that.

I know out of respect you call me "Sir"..and I appreciate that ...no need to call me sir..as we are all brothers in collecting. The anak anak dari gereja ku call me Om Larry...thats all I would expect from them as from their young age. mengerti Ja?

I am interested also for information in the Indonesian cutlery production. It would be interesting to see some swords. The only swords I have seen during my visits there were used and abused Japanese swords left over from the war being used in the field to clear weeds. Would be interesting to see Indo sword making. I believe most of their equipment may have been supplied by outside sources also. Keep it coming Feld Grau...interesting topic! Best Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Well, calling the older one with a name instead of "sir" is really impolite in here in particularly in solo. And basically i cant do it, no matter hard i try even calling you as "om" is still not enough too.

About cutlery, in my opinion there's so many who make sword or kris in here sir. For example each kraton have their own blacksmiths. I once got this dutch style klewang, hembrug style Klewang Restoration . But it's crude made and there's no blade tip point in here. I think this hembrug cloned was only made for cutting and slashing instead of thrusting. Maybe its made during the revolutionary era or maybe older since there's some chip in the blade, indicating it's used for something. And thank you sir, i'll make a thread about indonesian equipment as long i got the camera.

And i really agree with your quotation sir. "It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!!", i remember when i forced myself to went to the antique dealer house far from my home. Basically at that time i had stomachache since in the morning and i got diarrhea afterwards during the journey, twice.
    But thank goodness i manage to get to the seller's house and bought my best helmet, the dutch east indies cloned stahlhelm.

Edit:
    I'm adding more photo about gunto used in here
    Gunto used by the PETA (indonesian volunteer defense forces during japanese era) officer

Gunto in the PETA museum

Used by the officer of the indonesian special police forces during japanese era

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3