Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Need Help - Japanese Flag...

Article about: Hi, I wanted to find out some information on this flag(approximately 37" x 28") from anyone willing to help. I looked for a Sub-Section on Japanese relics but could not find one to

Default Need Help - Japanese Flag...

Hi,
    I wanted to find out some information on this flag(approximately 37" x 28") from anyone willing to help. I looked for a Sub-Section on Japanese relics but could not find one to post this thread. So I apologize before hand for placing this thread here. Or, any recommendations as to where I should post this thread?

My questions are: Is it authentic? Any interpretations on the writing? And finally, what meaning or use would this flag have had?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need Help - Japanese Flag...   Need Help - Japanese Flag...  

Need Help - Japanese Flag...   Need Help - Japanese Flag...  

Need Help - Japanese Flag...   Need Help - Japanese Flag...  

Need Help - Japanese Flag...  

I have since discovered where I should have posted this thread, German Militaria 1933-1945 to Axis Militaria to Japanese Militaria. I don't know how to relocate this thread, so any information would be helpful.

MAP
    ?

Quote by 3jusequlib View Post
    I have since discovered where I should have posted this thread, German Militaria 1933-1945 to Axis Militaria to Japanese Militaria. I don't know how to relocate this thread, so any information would be helpful.
    I would send a PM to the Mod of the Japanese section. Asking them to move it.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Moved the thread for you......
    Regards,

Steve.

Thank you for the suggestion MAP. However, Steve beat me to the punch. That was quite kind of you Steve-much appreciated.
    Thanks to both of you again for your time...cheers, Alex

The first photo shows the back side of the flag, so everything is shown reversed. It is a well-wishing flag presented by friends to a soldier going off to war. Not much flair and fairly dry in content (mostly names and a few slogans), but the material obvious as silk in the photos basically ensures this to be a wartime original. More often than not, a dedication would name the recipient of the flag, but this example lacks that personal touch, being devoid of a dedication. These served as good luck charms on the battlefield and became war trophies so favored by the GIs: that GI-faked flags were even produced for sale to other gullible GIs as souvenirs.

Thank you nick. I appreciate your time. That is fascinating information about this type of flag. So, is there a way that one can determine if it was a GI-faked flag? Being those would be period, too!
    Thank you ...Alex

The GI-faked flags were mass produced and had the honor of having a signature from Hideki Tojo. Thus they are called Tojo flags in the collector world.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need Help - Japanese Flag...  

That is an amazing photo(depending on how you look at it). Since you didn't mention it, my flag must not be a 'Tojo' flag? Which is good towards qualifying it as an original period well-wishing/good-luck flag?
    Thank you nick!