Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need Help with my grandfather's Shin Gunto sword

Article about: Hi Guys, this is my first post of what I hope to be many more. I am an English teacher in Korea and I since living abroad I've become very interested in all things WWII. My 85 year old Grand

Default Need Help with my grandfather's Shin Gunto sword

Hi Guys, this is my first post of what I hope to be many more.

I am an English teacher in Korea and I since living abroad I've become very interested in all things WWII. My 85 year old Grandfather is a WWII Navy vet that picked up a Katana and Arisaka rifle while in Okinawa from the Russians. He has some documentation on them both but I want to learn more.

I believe the Sword to be an officer's "Shin Gunto" sword, or I've seen others labeled as such that look similar. I have a friend in Japan that is trying to find out what the tag says, but if anyone else knows I'll gladly listen. What else can anyone tell me about this sword? I know it means a great deal to my "Pappa" and I'd love to tell him what I can find. thanks guys
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need Help with my grandfather's Shin Gunto sword   Need Help with my grandfather's Shin Gunto sword  

Need Help with my grandfather's Shin Gunto sword   Need Help with my grandfather's Shin Gunto sword