Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Need Help With Signature On WW2 Japanese Katana Sword, Check the Photos!

Article about: Need help breaking the code on this WW2 Japanese Samurai Sword! Let me know what you guys think, google ww2 japanese katana signatures and there is some info on how to read the signatures. T

clebrowns
    ?

Default Need Help With Signature On WW2 Japanese Katana Sword, Check the Photos!

Need help breaking the code on this WW2 Japanese Samurai Sword! Let me know what you guys think, google ww2 japanese katana signatures and there is some info on how to read the signatures. Thanks for your help!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need Help With Signature On WW2 Japanese Katana Sword, Check the Photos!   Need Help With Signature On WW2 Japanese Katana Sword, Check the Photos!  

Need Help With Signature On WW2 Japanese Katana Sword, Check the Photos!   Need Help With Signature On WW2 Japanese Katana Sword, Check the Photos!  

Need Help With Signature On WW2 Japanese Katana Sword, Check the Photos!  

?

Default Re: Need Help With Signature On WW2 Japanese Katana Sword, Check the Photos!

If you have no joy, try to contact Billy Tagg at Liverpool Militaria. I believe that he "knows his onions" in this regard.

Cheers,

Carl

?

Something fishy going on here! One signature was started and then stopped?
    濃州関之住 = Nōshū Seki kore jū [this signature was not completed].
    相模守藤原兼守 = Sagami no Kami Fujiwara Kanemori.

?

It was suggested over at NMB that it could also be 相模守藤原兼安 Sagami no Kami Fujiwara Kaneyasu.
    So what's it gonna be?

やはり! NMB is correct. vice

-- Guy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need Help With Signature On WW2 Japanese Katana Sword, Check the Photos!  

And the "mon" appears to be the owner's name:

林利
    Hayashi Satoshi

利 has other readings for given names, I've filtered out surnames and female names, so take your pick:
    【さとし】 (m) Satoshi; 【とおる】 (g) Tooru; 【みのる】 (g) Minoru; 【よし】 (g) Yoshi; 【としかつ】 (u) Toshikatsu; 【としじ】 (u) Toshiji; 【としつぐ】 (u) Toshitsugu

Dictionary codes:
    (m) male
    (g) given; unspecified sex
    (u) person name, as-yet unclassified [ghp: but these sound like male given names to me]

-- Guy

From Markus Sesko's Japanese Swordsmiths:

KANEYASU (兼安), Kanbun (寛文, 1661-1673), Mino/Musashi – “Sagami no Kami Fujiwara Kaneyasu” (相模守藤原兼安), “Nōshū Seki Gen´ichi Kaneyasu” (濃州関源一兼安), “Nōshū Seki Sagami no Kami Kaneyasu Bushū Edo Shiba ni oite saku” (濃州関相模守兼安武州於江戸芝作, “made in Edo´s Shiba in Musashi province by Sagami no Kami Kaneyasu from Seki from Mino province”), real name Gotō Gen´ichi (後藤源一), he also bore the first name Shichirōbei (七郎兵衛), he moved from Seki to Edo to study under Ōmura Kaboku (大村加卜), it is said that he also worked in Kai province, chōji-midare or gunome in ko-nie-deki, wazamono, chū-saku

-- Guy