Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need Help with Translation - Japanese Sword "Tachi"?

Article about: Hello everyone. I'm just looking for a translation on my Japanese Sword. I think it's called a Tachi. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you for your time!

?

Default Need Help with Translation - Japanese Sword "Tachi"?

Hello everyone. I'm just looking for a translation on my Japanese Sword. I think it's called a Tachi. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you for your time!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need Help with Translation - Japanese Sword "Tachi"?   Need Help with Translation - Japanese Sword "Tachi"?  

Need Help with Translation - Japanese Sword "Tachi"?   Need Help with Translation - Japanese Sword "Tachi"?  

Need Help with Translation - Japanese Sword "Tachi"?   Need Help with Translation - Japanese Sword "Tachi"?  

Need Help with Translation - Japanese Sword "Tachi"?  

Default Re: Need Help with Translation - Japanese Sword "Tachi"?

豊前高田住藤原貞行
    Buzen Takada-ju Fujiwara Sadayuki

Fujiwara Sadayuki, resident of Takada in Buzen Province.

Just a translation; NOT an authentication. I am not qualified to offer evaluations, either.

--Guy

?

Thank you very much For the translation Guy.

?

Ask Bob Coleman, he is an expert in this field of collecting. He's a moderator here.
    Dean.

I would like to make one correction to the translation. The second kanji is "shu", not "zen." Takada was a noted center for sword smiths in Bungo prefecture on the northern edge of the southern island of Kyushu. Blades of the Takada school were known for their cutting ability. They have never been looked upon as high art but were very functional. Bungo blades were a favorite private purchase with officers of the Imperial Japanese Army.
    There are several Sadayuki who worked in this school. There were two generations that worked in the 16th century. The signature looks correct and is likely the work of the 1st generation. The itomaki no tachi mounting is 19th century. If you wish to have the handle wrap repaired, contact me and I can put you in touch with the right person. There are numerous persons who do handle wraps but this piece needs a trained Japanese expert.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

A 16th Century blade? Very impressive and in wonderful condition! Absolutely, you should have the handle wrap restored!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Bob,

豊州高田住藤原貞行
    Busshu Takada-ju Fujiwara Sadayuki

You have great eyes! I thought you might be mistaken ... so I looked verrrrrrrry closely. Yappari, you are right! My eyes were combining the bottom of [which looks very like the top of ], combined it with the actual 州 ... and came up inerrently with .

Many thanks for the fraternal correction!
    --Guy

Hi BBMATT,

Are any of the four menuki signed on the back?

Interesting that there are four, as there should be one on each side of the handle, under the wrapping.

Which, I wonder, are original to the tachi .... the overtly gold, which match the other gold highlights? Or would that be too "kin-kira-kin" [shiny-gaudy]

--Guy

?

They are not signed. The old man I got this sword from said these fell out when the wrap went bad.

Quote by BBMATT View Post
    They are not signed. The old man I got this sword from said these fell out when the wrap went bad.
    Wow, I've never heard of a sword with four menuki. But I've not seen a lot of tachi. These two pair even look as though they compliment each other -- both sets being (?) pheasants in flight?

I'm just green with envy, that's all.

Nice tachi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast