Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need some help identification of IJA Cap

Article about: I recently picked up this, what I believe is a IJA tropical cap. I am new to Japanese uniforms and equipment and would also like to identify, and translate some of the markings on the hat. A

?

Default Need some help identification of IJA Cap

I recently picked up this, what I believe is a IJA tropical cap. I am new to Japanese uniforms and equipment and would also like to identify, and translate some of the markings on the hat. A name? unit?
    Any help, comments, opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Need some help identification of IJA CapNeed some help identification of IJA CapNeed some help identification of IJA CapNeed some help identification of IJA CapNeed some help identification of IJA CapNeed some help identification of IJA CapNeed some help identification of IJA CapNeed some help identification of IJA CapNeed some help identification of IJA Cap

?

Looks good to me.

Name: Iwai

Embroidered kanji: 岩井 [Iwai]
    Hand-stitched katakana: イワイ [Iwai]

--Guy

?

Thanks Guy..
    So if I am not mistaken, The Embroidered Kanji and the hand stitched Katakana are two different ways to write the same name "Iwai?" Thanks again

Japanese uses three intermingled system of characters-Kanji, katakana which is phonetic and hiragana, which is phonetic for sounds not native to the Japanese language. Guy may correct me, but for me, to see a name written in two different methods on the same article is unusual. My only thought is that the kanji may have had more than one pronunciation and the owner wanted to clarify the correct way.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Very interesting! Guy and Bob..Thanks for getting back to me to clarify..

Quote by Obal7 View Post
    Thanks Guy..
    So if I am not mistaken, The Embroidered Kanji and the hand stitched Katakana are two different ways to write the same name "Iwai?" Thanks again
    Correct.

Katakana and hiragana are syllabary "alphabets." Hiragana (the more curvey derivations of kanji) is usually used for Japanese words; katakana [the boxey derivations of kanji] is usually used for foreign words/names, OR to show emphasis (such as italicize). Names are often hand-stitched in katakana because it's easier.

FYI:
    The matrix:
    x axis = vowels A, I, U, E, O [sounds similar to Italian vowels]
    y axis = consonants listed under A: Ka, Sa, Ta, Na, Ha, Ma, Ya, Chi, Wa, n [ending consonant]

Key: Read each cell from right to left.
    red or blue = printed kanji
    brick = cursive variation of red kanji
    black = morphed katakana/hiragana

--Guy

Rod
    ?

It's an officers cap. The embroidered name on the interior, the lack of issue stamps and the metal grommets point the way. Nice find!

Rod

?

Thanks to all! I appreciate the time and effort you all took to educate me. A very interesting subject and hobby.

Quote by Obal7 View Post
    .... A very interesting subject and hobby.
    You left out "frustrating" .....