Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need some newbie help with japanese edged weapons

Article about: Hi All. I am looking to add a few items to my collection to represent the pacific theater of WW2, mainly a nice Bayonet or Sword, or both lol, I know alittle bit about the bayos but not much

Default Need some newbie help with japanese edged weapons

Hi All.
    I am looking to add a few items to my collection to represent the pacific theater of WW2, mainly a nice Bayonet or Sword, or both lol, I know alittle bit about the bayos but not much about swords, aside from being ALOT of fakes around, so here is one of each, I am pretty sure the Bayo will be fine and original but I am not sure about the sword/shin ginto, I heard the chinese fakes have ugly green scabbards, so would this be a fake? if you could just tell me the top 2 or 3 signs to look for in a fake that would be helpfull also, Thank you for your time and saving me from getting burned!
    John
    Need some newbie help with japanese edged weaponsNeed some newbie help with japanese edged weaponsNeed some newbie help with japanese edged weaponsNeed some newbie help with japanese edged weaponsNeed some newbie help with japanese edged weaponsNeed some newbie help with japanese edged weaponsNeed some newbie help with japanese edged weaponsNeed some newbie help with japanese edged weaponsNeed some newbie help with japanese edged weapons

?

Default Re: Need some newbie help with japanese edged weapons

A nice clean bayonet and frog made by Tokyo/Kokura Arsenal and NCO sword which looks OK IMO.

?

Hello John,

Bayo is good and in spite of the greenish saya (scabbard) I think the sword (IJA NCO Type 95) is too. Looks like someone has touched up the tsuka (handle) somewhat with yellow paint. It's a top latch, aluminum tsuka, iron tsuba Variation 2 as per the Dawson reference.

It would be helpful to view photos of the last 6 inches of the blade as well as the scabbard drag.

Last but not least. If you have not already done so take a few minutes to read through the thread on IJA Type 95 NCO swords that is pinned to the top of this sub-forum. You will see examples of the fuchi (collar) markings there as well as general information on the type.

Regards,
    Stu

See differences in the 2 (full front seppa) and 2A (cut away top) in this photo.
    Need some newbie help with japanese edged weapons
    Last edited by Stu W; 05-29-2013 at 10:53 PM.

Thanks stu, I am comfortable with purchasing a bayo but buying a sword still scares me.

This is a nice find John!!! ...I really like the hanger!! It gives it alot of character!!
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Larry I am out of wall space can I foward my future items to your house for safe storage? Lol
    Pretty soon I am going to be asking how to mount items on the ceiling.