MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

A new hinomaru yosegaki (complex)

Article about: Hello, I'm new to the forum. I recently came into ownership (unexpectedly) of what I believe is a good luck flag/hinomaru yosegaki, and the pictures are attached. I know almost nothing about

paulcg87
    ?

Default A new hinomaru yosegaki (complex)

Hello,
    I'm new to the forum. I recently came into ownership (unexpectedly) of what I believe is a good luck flag/hinomaru yosegaki, and the pictures are attached. I know almost nothing about it and I do not speak/read/write Japanese. I've never seen so much writing on a flag - the other good luck flags I've seen pictures of (online) are not nearly as crowded as this, which makes me wonder if this is something else.

Can anyone on here help with reading this and/or give me any information? I'm also surprised at the condition of the flag - it doesn't seem as stained or worn as most good luck flags you see online, which makes me think it's either a fake or that it never really left home.

Thank you for any info!

PaulA new hinomaru yosegaki (complex)A new hinomaru yosegaki (complex)A new hinomaru yosegaki (complex)A new hinomaru yosegaki (complex)A new hinomaru yosegaki (complex)

Think you have the flag backwards... I can make out the kanji on the top left of the sun as "Pray you military fortunes are long lasting". I can not make out the shrine stamp on it. As for condition you find all ends of the spectrum. Very nice ones that probably never seen the light of day or ones that are so salty they are falling apart.

Charlie
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A new hinomaru yosegaki (complex)  

Wow...that is the most signatures I've ever seen on a Japanese flag! What a great find!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

paulcg87
    ?

Thanks Charlie!

MAP
    ?

Holy cow! He must have had a lot of friends! Nice flag!

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

That guy came from a big city and/or had a LOT OF FAMILY.
    Cool looking flag.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Very nice flag! A clue to the general location of where the soldier came from is probably within the shrine stamp, unless it is a very well known shrine like Yasukuni or similar.

Tom

Default F-i-n-a-l-l-y !!!!!!

Was able to make out the red-stamped seal.

国幣大社
    南宮神社

Kokuhei Daisha
    Nangu Jinja

Grand National Shrine
    Nangu Jinja

Japanese Wiki
    English Wiki

Phew .... I need coffee!

--Guy

?

I have been away and missed this thread , a really nice example you have there Paul , a lot of work has gone into that ! The magician of the week award goes to Guy for his translation of the Shrine stamp , how you could see that i just don't know !! Many thanks for your time and effort Guy
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...