Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

new japanese navy sword

Article about: HI,THANKS FOR THE REPLY AS IAM NOT SURE IF THE TANG HAS BEEN CLEANED AS YOU WOULD THINK IF IT WAS THE BLACK PAINT WOULD HAVE COME OFF ?NOT SURE BUT I THINK MAYBE NAVY BLADES WERE MADE DIFFER

?

Default Re: new japanese navy sword

HI,THANKS FOR THE REPLY AS IAM NOT SURE IF THE TANG HAS BEEN CLEANED AS YOU WOULD THINK IF IT WAS THE BLACK PAINT WOULD HAVE COME OFF ?NOT SURE BUT I THINK MAYBE NAVY BLADES WERE MADE DIFFEREND SINCE THEY WERE AROUND SALT WATER,,MAYBE IAM JUST GUESSING..WELL ANY WAY IT IS WHAT IT IS AND THE NICKS ARE THERE BUT THEY DO LOOK WORSE IN PICTURE AS IT MAKES IT LOOK WORSE THEN THEY REALY ARE,,I GOT A GREAT DEAL ON THIS AS I ALWAYS WANTED A JAPANESE SWORD BUT COULD NOT FIND ONE,,I DONT KNOW anything abought them but i do know i got a great deal,and as far as the cleaning under the handle who knows ,but why would the black swips still be there?thank you and please post your late war navy if you can,,,pammy

?

I do recall that some naval swords were made from stainless. Salt water and all that.

Appears unsigned. I think its showa-to with machine made blade, but still a nice WWII item. Take good care of it. The tassel alone is worth 150 or more. prices are crazy on guntos, perhaps worth from 8-12 hundred. Allot depends on blade condition, and if it is hand/traditionally made. Never heard of a hand-made stainless, but no expert.

regards

?

It is a WWII stainless steel Naval blade. The stainless blades are not that common. The fittings are nice. The nicks on the blade do devalue it some but I wouldn't worry about it. It still makes a very nice display item.
    Steve

?

Thanks steve,would they use this sword or was it for show?as i love to watch pawn stars and a sword came into the shop and they said the nick/nicks were from hitting a persons bone??probobly not maybe a kid played with it ??who knows,,,who could you tell?thanks everyone how much on the market is my sword worth ?then i will tell how much i paid i want to see realy how good i did,as iam pretty sure i did good,,,,thank you
    Last edited by pammy; 04-16-2010 at 02:07 AM.

?

hi,is this a navy or marine or neither?and does anyone have the part i need the one from the scabbard with ring and sqrews right in to it?i would pay well for on!!thanks is it ok to put regular oil on the blade?thank you as i like the japanese more then my german items,,i have two tasles the one thats on it is very likely original to it as it has were in two spots,and longer then the other one i have..the other one is a little shorter not much,and a darker brown?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture new japanese navy sword   new japanese navy sword  

?

the darker one is a spare ,unless swords come with two?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture new japanese navy sword   new japanese navy sword  

?

last one.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture new japanese navy sword  

?

last did not come out..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture new japanese navy sword  

?

This is a good site:

Military Swords of Imperial Japan (Gunto)

I think that brown is for naval. Only one tassel at a time AFAIK. Are you planning to sell the spare? Not sure what a stainless blade goes for.

As for show, the Japanese did use swords in WWII, mostly on prisoners. Some would say an arsenal machine made blade would not stand up to the rigors of cutting, and is for show therefore.

A gendaito, made the traditional way, is another story.

I need a screw for my saya throat. I look for a tassel but very few to be had. Most were really torn up and I did not feel they would stand up to daily inspection. For now I went with a repro red/brown company grade tassel. I also have a repro sarute on order from Fred. They look better with a tassel and I plan to display the mounts and blade separately.

Regards

?

hi thanks,yes iam going to sell it as its mint and i already have one that came with my sword,its not mint but its original to the sword..e-mail me if interested for cash or trade thanks for the reply! pammy oh,the one that came with my sword is a lighter brown and the minty one is darker,,i bought it off e-bay the guy was selling the navy sword witch went for over $1000 and he was selling the tasle aside so i paid good money for it..
    Last edited by pammy; 04-16-2010 at 04:19 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast