Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

New Lacquer Sake Cup with Translation Question

Article about: I have finally landed my first lacquer sake cup (and I'm very pleased ) and would like to see if someone can translate the inscription. (I'm getting better at recognizing common phrases but

Default New Lacquer Sake Cup with Translation Question

I have finally landed my first lacquer sake cup (and I'm very pleased ) and would like to see if someone can translate the inscription. (I'm getting better at recognizing common phrases but a lot of it still goes over my head.)

Thanks in advance!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New Lacquer Sake Cup with Translation Question   New Lacquer Sake Cup with Translation Question  

It commemorates the participation of the 19th Field Artillery Regiment in the Siberian Intervention in 1920. They were a component of the 13th Division. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/13th_D...Japanese_Army)

Woo-Hoo! That is a memento of a man named Yanagi, of the 19th Artillery, having been dispatched during the Siberian Intervention!

西伯利亜出征記念
    Shi-Bi-Ri-A Shuusei Kinen

砲十九
    Hō jū kyū
    Artillery 19

Yanagi

Note: Ateji ["Striking Words"] are kanji that approximate a foreign name/sound.
    Today, the katakana シベリア are used instead of 西伯利亜.

--Guy

Nick, great timing!

--Guy

(^___^)

Thanks for the help, guys! I've been getting into the Siberian Intervention as of late, and this piece is a perfect addition for my new interest.

Thank you again!