Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

New purchase washizaki

Article about: Hi just picked up this old Wakizashi came from the estate of a former veteran bought home from the far east.

MAP
    ?

No worries. Took me 5 seconds to rotate and fix. I can't even upload pics from a cell phone so understand.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks

Anybody plz?

Mart

Rod
    ?

Just my opinion but it looks like this was a much longer blade at one time. The Hi (grooves) extend down through the tang (nakago). These would not normally extend past the hibaki (collar). Looks like the engraving is post reshaping which could be information from the original tang or a fake attribution (gimei).

The furniture is very nice. Generally Shinto wakizashi are shorter than the earlier Koto/Sue Koto ones but if this is a broken/shortened blade that probably doesn't mean anything. I can't see one but if there's a faint hamon (temper line) it may benefit from a professional (operative word) cold polish.

Nice to have!

Rod

?

Translator/ opinion needed on Isle 5.
    Bob, Guy???????
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Desperate for a translation here please guys and yes a slight Hamon is visible needs polishing. I wont touch this until i know more about it and if worth sending off for a polish. Is this a common thing for a broken sword to be used like this?? Is it a broken sword from end of ww2 made of parts for tourists??

Quote by airwarrior View Post
    Desperate for a translation here please guys and yes a slight Hamon is visible needs polishing. I wont touch this until i know more about it and if worth sending off for a polish. Is this a common thing for a broken sword to be used like this?? Is it a broken sword from end of ww2 made of parts for tourists??
    It is not a tourist situation. I am still working on the kanji as the inscription is unusual and your pictures are not the clearest. Long blades were at times shortened into wakizashi due to either battle damage or being partially burnt removing the temper. There is no such thing as a "parts" sword in civilian mounted blades asit was not unusual for the fittings to be changed over the years due to owner's taste or change in fashion.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Here you go added a little chalk dust they need rotating sorry .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New purchase washizaki   New purchase washizaki  

New purchase washizaki   New purchase washizaki  

?

New purchase washizaki
    New purchase washizaki
    New purchase washizaki
    New purchase washizaki
    This way nobody is getting a stiff neck from canting their head to the side

Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast