MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

NHTK Papered Mantetsu

Article about: We've all heard the stories, but here's one for real! I'll add the link when I can get my tablet to copy/paste again.

"KANTEISHO - "Important Work" / 70-84 points"

Kanteisho is 鑑定書. It does not translate "Important Work". Something is fundamentally wrong.

And, SHINTEISHO is 審定書. It's not "Genuine Work".

I mean no offense. What Stu wrote is incorrect. I think he just copied the materials from somewhere he saved.

Quote by Sporter90 View Post

Kanteisho is 鑑定書. So, "Shinteisho, Kanteisho, and Yushuto" are absolutely not a rating system! That site is giving poor information.
    Well, it looks like the site has simplified explanations:
    • 審定書 Shinteisho (lit. Judgement Certificate) This first level of certification is reserved for swords in which the mei (signature) is authentic, but the overall condition of the sword is not very healthy.
    • 鑑定書 Kanteisho (lit. Appraisal Letter/Cert) This is the second highest and more commonly seen origami certificate from the NTHK-NPO that offers a generous amount of information on the sword’s characteristics. The certificate will be issued for swords of considerable quality ...
    • 優秀作 Yushusaku (lit. Superior Made). The highest level of achievement at the NTHK-NPO is a certificate known as YUSHUTO. It is the equivalent to the NBTHK JUYO Token.

In their words, a yushusaku-to is a sword certificate for “the very best of the best“. YUSHUTO origami is issued for wonderfully made swords in terms of condition and their worthiness as an object of art and of academic study.

I found examples as shown below .... but I could not find a Yushusaku cert! Every sword I saw that was listed as "Yushusaku to" had a Kanteisho cert.

--Guy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NHTK Papered Mantetsu   NHTK Papered Mantetsu  

優秀 is a rating. However, 審定 and 鑑定 are not ratings. The words are very similar in meaning too. They are neutral. You can write a 審定書 or 鑑定書 with 100% negative findings! Just as well as 100% positive findings. The name of the report (aka 審定書 or 鑑定書) is neutral. What matters is the findings in the report.

Using the koshirae paper above for example. The paper does not write a rating. All we see is a description of the koshirae. With such paper, there's no distinction between a NBTHK Juyo koshirae and a Type 98 koshirae.

優秀 is a rating. However, 審定 and 鑑定 are not ratings. The words are very similar in meaning too. They are neutral. You can write a 審定書 or 鑑定書 with 100% negative findings! Just as well as 100% positive findings. The name of the report (aka 審定書 or 鑑定書) is neutral. What matters is the findings in the report.
    I understand what you are saying about the "neutral terms," however, that does not seem to jive with what the Nippon Token Hozon Kai is suggesting. They (as I, an uninformed non-collector, read it) imply that those terms are used for certain levels of evaluation:
    通常審査の結果、合格の場合 When passed by ordinary examination
     鑑定書折紙料    一万円 Kantei-sho Origami Fee ¥10,000
     審定書の場合    五千円 Shintei-sho ¥5,000
    優秀刀鑑定・装剣具いずれも 一万二千円 Yūshū-tō kantei ¥12,500
    Am I misunderstanding their explanation?

Thanks,
    --Guy

The problem is with the NTHK.

The problem is with the NTHK.
    Oh. Thanks

Chris Bowen, at NMB, works the Chicago Shinsa each year and is looking into this for us. I’ll update word comes in.

Quote by Bruce Pennington View Post
    Chris Bowen, at NMB, works the Chicago Shinsa each year and is looking into this for us. I’ll update word comes in.
    Tell Chris I said "hello!" I met him at a friend's house in Japan way back ca. 1993-4.

--Guy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast