Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

NHTK Papered Mantetsu

Article about: We've all heard the stories, but here's one for real! I'll add the link when I can get my tablet to copy/paste again.

Default NHTK Papered Mantetsu

We've all heard the stories, but here's one for real!

I'll add the link when I can get my tablet to copy/paste again, but it can be found on NMB on "Koa Isshin with Nthk papers".

(if a moderator can fix the spelling in the titile, i'd appreciate it)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NHTK Papered Mantetsu   NHTK Papered Mantetsu  

Quote by Bruce Pennington View Post
    We've all heard the stories, but here's one for real!

I'll add the link when I can get my tablet to copy/paste again, but it can be found on NMB on "Koa Isshin with Nthk papers".

Linky thingy
    Last edited by ghp95134; 02-24-2019 at 10:24 PM.

The NHTK is not the NBTHK. The NBTHK gives ratings to swords.

I claim total ignorance about this subject, but since I've started the tread, I guess it's time I get some education. The article on this site - NTHK-NPO – Nihon Token Hozon Kai Certification Paper Ranking for Japanese Swords << Unique Japan (uniquejapan.com) - says the NTHK is older than the NBTHK, and lists various levels of ratings that it gives:SHINTEISHO (Genuine Swords), KANTEISHO (Authentic Swords), KANTEISHO KOSHIRAE (Authentic Sword Fittings, and YUSHUTO (Highly Excellent Swords).

Can anyone tell from this certificate, which type rating it was granted?

鑑定書
    Kanteisho

Thanks Guy!

Here’s what the site says about that rating: “This is the second highest and more commonly seen origami certificate from the NTHK-NPO that offers a generous amount of information on the sword’s characteristics. The certificate will be issued for swords of considerable quality in which the mei (signature) is authentic OR in the case that if sword is mumei (unsigned), the judges will offer their opinion on who the smith or school was that forged the blade.”

鑑定書 Kanteisho is not a rating. It translates "Appraisal Certificate".

That NTHK paper doesn't show a rating. However it gives a Shoshin (正真) verdict. Shoshin translates "Genuine" or "Authentic". The verdict is to authenticate the signature Koa Isshin etc., etc.

In my mind the NBTHK papers carry more weight than other organizations' and/or individual's certificate. The NBTHK hasn't issued a paper to Mantetsu To as far as I know.

Sporter,

That would certainly make more sense. If I understood the article right, the lowest rating simiply verified that the mei was authentic. This second-level rating seems to say "This is a nice blade AND the mei is authentic", right?

I don't know how NTHK works, because I never paid attention to NTHK. A quick reading through the link you provided above, I don't see any rating. All I see is a Shoshin (正真), which is not a rating.

I think a lot from that site is sales talk.

Where did they come up with "Shinteisho, Kanteisho, and Yushuto"??? They are not written on the paper.

Kanteisho is 鑑定書. So, "Shinteisho, Kanteisho, and Yushuto" are absolutely not a rating system! That site is giving poor information.

StuW, over on Wehrmacht-awards agrees with the site. His post:

Just for info ...

N.T.H.K. (Nihon Token Hozon Kai)

Formally translated as “The Society for the Preservation of the Japanese Sword”. Established in 1910 during the Meiji Period. N.T.H.K shinsa are held in the U.S. in conjunction with sword shows. After the death of the late Yoshikawa-sensei the organization split into two, the second being the N.T.H.K - NPO. The N.T.H.K sword ratings are:

SHINTEISHO - "Genuine Work" / 60-69 points
    KANTEISHO - "Important Work" / 70-84 points
    YUSHU SAKU - "Very Important Work" / 85-94 points
    SAI YUSHU SAKU - "Special Important Work" / 95-100 points
    *Only Yushu saku & Sai Yushu saku are issued in Japan. Items graded higher than 80 points are recommend for shinsa in Japan.

N.T.H.K. (Nihon Token Hozon Kai) N.P.O

The N.T.H.K. NPO (Nihon Token Hozon Kai) also issues origami. N.T.H.K shinsa are held in the U.S. in conjunction with sword shows. The N.T.H.K sword ratings are:

SHINTEISHO - "Genuine Work" / 60-69 points
    KANTEISHO - "Important Work" / 70-79 points
    Kanteisho with 80 + points is eligible for the yearly Yushu shinsa held only in Japan.
    YUSHU SAKU - "Very Important Work" / 80 + points

NTHK Papered Mantetsu - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast