Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Odd Cartouche on J Type-38 rifle stock

Article about: I have had this translated by two people independently. One was a Marine Corps linguist who has been translating and studying for almost 60yrs. The other is a Japanese man with a degree in a

Default Odd Cartouche on J Type-38 rifle stock

I have had this translated by two people independently. One was a Marine Corps linguist who has been translating and studying for almost 60yrs. The other is a Japanese man with a degree in ancient Japanese literature. Both came up with the same (or very similar) translation which they both were hesitant to tell me. The reason being, it doesn't really make sense. Can any of you translate and give a possible meaning or reason for this cartouche? I am sorry for not giving any more info, but I would like to see the translations and thoughts without the previous info possibly interfering. I will give the info I have, after I get the opinions of others. Thank you for any help clearing this up.

Odd Cartouche on J Type-38 rifle stock

日大歯

This sort of brand is usually found on cadet rifles [e.g., "ROTC"] . 日大歯 would indicate Nippon Daigaku Shigaku-bu; Japan School of Dentistry (founded 1921):

学部

The two people you showed it to probably thought it just meant "Sun/Day - Large - Tooth".

--Guy

?

Guamsst,
    By chance does the Mum on the receive have a circle of rings going around it?
    This may be a school rifle and that would make sense from the translation Guy has given you.

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

I just saw that member Guamsst was banned. So I guess there is no need to wait for a reply to my question.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    I just saw that member Guamsst was banned.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    So is his alter ego, JAP1A.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Sheesh ... I hate it when I waste my time. Well, hopefully you guys get something from the translation.

--Guy

?

Your time is never wasted here Guy , i know we all appreciate your efforts , thankyou .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Quote by Alan M View Post
    Your time is never wasted here Guy , i know we all appreciate your efforts , thankyou .
    Ditto!
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

When your forum is the best it seems to attract a larger number of dimwits and dingbats.
    Kudos to our moderators that weed these turds out.

?

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Ditto!
    Ralph.
    X2
    Guy,
    We all learn when you do your magic and it is appreciated by all even if they are those that fall by the way side! Please continue you fine work.
    Semper Fi
    Phil