Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Old non-military tachi

Article about: hi lads - I'd show the whole suite of pix but I think you can judge if the tachi I saw is real and by this blackened brass/bronze tsuba. hope so. all thoughts appreciated. thanks a lot.

?

Default Old non-military tachi

hi lads -

I'd show the whole suite of pix but I think you can judge if the tachi I saw is real and by this blackened brass/bronzeOld non-military tachi tsuba. hope so. all thoughts appreciated. thanks a lot.

?

Old non-military tachio well here's the same if that's any help (btw - these 'un-wrapped' handles signify pre-katana era, yes?)

Not necessarily -- the style was also produced in the Edo, Taisho, Showa, and Heisei eras.

The value is first in the blade; koshirae (scabbard/handle) are secondary. For example, here is a Minamoto Yoshichika 1927 blade housed in Efu-dachi koshirae:

--Guy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Old non-military tachi   Old non-military tachi  

Old non-military tachi  

Allow me to clarify. Yes -- the "style" predates the uchigatana (katana) style; however, these efu-no-tachi mounts have been made up through the current era.

?

thanks a mint, guy. the blade, as shown elsewhere, is according to colleague b. coleman hand-made (nihonto). and as I'd said to him and other curious persons, I can't show the tang b/c the sword lay in a consignment shop and I cannot remove the peg and handle w/o owner's say-so. if he gives it I'll snap a few more pix and, like the teminator of legend, 'be back.' btw mr. coleman believes, on the basis of pix 'over there,' that this is a ca. 1910 copy of an older tachi - which makes a lot of sense. the sad bad bit is that while the hamon is real attractive there are many blade scratches.

?

on 2nd thought, 'made up' has a slightly unpleaasant ring to it, esp. in the context of the areas with which I'm most familiar: uniforms, daggers, medals, headgear etc. are you suggesting this sword is likely to've been 'frankenstein'd at some stage? or, are mods to be expected in nihonto over time, i.e. blade and tang length, different fittings and so on? again, swords to this level of detail ar pretty much terra incognita to me! thanks again.

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    Allow me to clarify. Yes -- the "style" predates the uchigatana (katana) style; however, these efu-no-tachi mounts have been made up through the current era.

Quote by vady View Post
    on 2nd thought, 'made up' has a slightly unpleaasant ring to it,...
    Oh no, no, no. "Made up" as in "produced", "made to order", "bespoke", ... etc.

I didn't mean to imply anything unsavory.

(^__^)

--Guy

As I stated over at WAF, this is a Taisho era(1906-1926)commercial mounting with a real Nihonto inside. The tsuka can be removed by unthreading the brass mekugi which has a male and female side. In Japanese swords, old is a relative term. The original efudachi mounts originated in the Kamakura period which is really old.The mounts are not high quality and the vakue would be in the blade, if any.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

I normally tell people not to mind the Mon too much, but in this case it is that of the Tokugawa Shogunate, so you can say that the whole thing was indeed made as a replica, if the blade is from the Taisho period.

?

very grateful for the help, fellas! will try and make then post more pix.