Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The only hinomaru yosegaki I will ever need

Article about: I don't post much here, but I wanted to share the newest addition to my collection with our community. This hinomaru yosegaki was taken by my grandfather while on Iwo Jima. Pretty standard f

?

Default The only hinomaru yosegaki I will ever need

I don't post much here, but I wanted to share the newest addition to my collection with our community. This hinomaru yosegaki was taken by my grandfather while on Iwo Jima. Pretty standard flag with slogans and signatures of well wishers. What is rather interesting about the flag is the drawing of the Japanese fighter in the lower left quadrant of the flag. I believe that grandpa had a picture taken of him displaying this flag while on Iwo. If I am able to find it, I will post at a later time. No worries with translations, I will tackle that myself. Thanks for looking!

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The only hinomaru yosegaki I will ever need   The only hinomaru yosegaki I will ever need  

A lovely item! I hope you find the photo, it would be great to see!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

"...was taken by my grandfather while on Iwo Jima...."

Holy Cow! What great provenance!

--Guy

That's a great looking flag. The family connection
    makes it even better.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

MAP
    ?

Agree with what the guys said. Pretty awesome piece. If you find that photo it would be icing on the cake.

Now......with a drawing of the plane, would it be possible this belonged to a pilot?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    Agree with what the guys said. Pretty awesome piece. If you find that photo it would be icing on the cake.

Now......with a drawing of the plane, would it be possible this belonged to a pilot?
    The drawing looks like a KI-43 Hayabusa "Oscar" From JAAF......Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

An awesome piece with a great backstory! Definitely an heirloom! Thanks for sharing!

Default Flag from Iwo

Tom-
    I wouldn't underplay this flag; what an amazing piece of history in so many different and important ways! Thank you for sharing and for preserving this valuable piece of your family's legacy......

MichaelB

?

Thanks, all, for the replies, it is much appreciated.

As to the idea that the flag once belonged to a pilot, I do not know. After skimming the phrases and signatures on the flag, I don't see anything that overtly points to pilot ownership/dedication.

Tom

?

I was able to find the photograph of the flag that my Grandfather brought back from Iwo Jima. My Grandfather, Ivan, is on the right. Thanks for looking! Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The only hinomaru yosegaki I will ever need  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast