Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Opinions of this type 98 Shin gunto

Article about: I recently picked this up. I was curious as to the experts opinions on it. I know that it is a factory made blade. The seller stated it was signed by Kanemune. I'm on my phone and I am unabl

Default Opinions of this type 98 Shin gunto

I recently picked this up. I was curious as to the experts opinions on it. I know that it is a factory made blade. The seller stated it was signed by Kanemune. I'm on my phone and I am unable to rotate the tang to the correct position. I checked through Dawson's book online and I believe I identified the Kanji as Kanemune as well, except I couldn't figure out the top Kanji on it. I don't see a date.

Opinions of this type 98 Shin guntoOpinions of this type 98 Shin guntoOpinions of this type 98 Shin guntoOpinions of this type 98 Shin guntoOpinions of this type 98 Shin guntoOpinions of this type 98 Shin guntoOpinions of this type 98 Shin guntoOpinions of this type 98 Shin guntoOpinions of this type 98 Shin guntoOpinions of this type 98 Shin gunto

It does say Kanemune, and the top one says Seki, the Japanese counterpart of Solingen.

It is a beauty! I really love the longer style kissaki. It gives the blade a more elegant look.

Beautiful example! Congrats! Regards,Geoff

I picked this up at the post office this morning. I am very pleased with its condition as it has one small black spot on the blade and the rest is very clean. The tassel is in nice condition with a tear on one spot but still good.

It will pair well with the Type 3 (I can't remember how to spell the new name for it and auto correct will be confused as well) and Type 95 I've recently picked up. Although the Type 98 did cost me my Luger pistol. Well worth selling it.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I'm late to the party! In support of Nick's declaration:

関 兼宗作
    Seki Kanemune saku
    Made by Kanemune of Seki

Civilian name:
    Fukumoto Koichi
    福本古市

Born 14 October 1902
    Died 8 March 1977

Adopted son of Fukamoto Amahide
    福本天秀