Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Opinions on WWII Japanese Katana, potenial purchase.

Article about: Hello Everyone, Was wondering what is the consensus on this Japanese katana (pictures aren't the greatest, asked the seller (veterans estate) to provide others today)? This would be my first

?

Default Opinions on WWII Japanese Katana, potenial purchase.

Hello Everyone,

Was wondering what is the consensus on this Japanese katana (pictures aren't the greatest, asked the seller (veterans estate) to provide others today)? This would be my first purchase of a Japanese sword... Any help is greatly appreciate!

Seller states that the tang has no markings.

Thanks, Tim
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions on WWII Japanese Katana, potenial purchase.   Opinions on WWII Japanese Katana, potenial purchase.  

Opinions on WWII Japanese Katana, potenial purchase.   Opinions on WWII Japanese Katana, potenial purchase.  

Opinions on WWII Japanese Katana, potenial purchase.   Opinions on WWII Japanese Katana, potenial purchase.  

Opinions on WWII Japanese Katana, potenial purchase.  

It looks to be real. The tang may have been cleaned, not sure about the cut out on the tang. The blade looks real good I would love to see better picture of the blade and more close up pictures before I would buy it.
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Very few post from you but glad to see that you are a paid member!!!!!!!!!
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Genuine WW2 IJA officer's sword in fine condition. The tang has not been cleaned. It is fresh as likely the handle has never been off and it was stored well. It is not a hand made blade but a nice example of what the average young officer carried.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

It is important to support the study of military artifacts! Also, this forum provides a wealth of info for a novice like me.

?

Mr. Coleman,

What would you value the sword at (I understand the pictures don't provide enough clarity)? The seller is looking for $1199. saying it is firm. Also, what is the reason for the end of the tang being notched? Thank again!, Tim

?

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Genuine WW2 IJA officer's sword in fine condition. The tang has not been cleaned. It is fresh as likely the handle has never been off and it was stored well. It is not a hand made blade but a nice example of what the average young officer carried.
    I would agree with Bob and add that the sword, a Shin-gunto, is the iconic IJA Officer sword from WW2. The mounts are referred to as Type 98. As to value ... the amount you mention is at the top of the range. It's missing a sarute but those are available. In fact I may have one in my spare parts bin.

As to the notching of the nakago (tang). I've seen it before, have no idea what it indicates, but wouldn't worry about it.

For more info on the sword have a look here ...

JAPANESE MILITARY SWORDS - I

Army commissioned officers Shin-GuntM (Type 98 GuntM) 1938

Regards,
    Stu

?

In case you are not familiar with the term "sarute" it refers to the metal horseshoe shaped loop at the rear of the tsuka (handle) to which the tassel is tied.

Have a look here at Doug Austin's site for an example.

swords

Regards,
    Stu

Quote by TTT28 View Post
    Mr. Coleman,

What would you value the sword at (I understand the pictures don't provide enough clarity)? The seller is looking for $1199. saying it is firm. Also, what is the reason for the end of the tang being notched? Thank again!, Tim
    I do not like to discuss prices but will say I feel Stu is correct that your seller is at the way high end for an unsigned machine made sword.
    Deformed tangs usually indicate a blade that was rejected. Due to shortages, it was likely issued later in the war.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

I know you have mentioned the seller is not willing to negotiate but I've found that a hand full of hundred dollar bills will sometimes cause a seller to rethink their position. The condition is good but as Bob says it's likely issued at the end of the war and will cost you some $ to get a sarute. It's the kind of sword I'd approach a seller about on the last afternoon of a show and offer them 700 USD for it. Perhaps those seven one hundred dollar bills in hand will swing the deal in your direction. I'd have a fifty in reserve to sweeten the deal if it's close but no more.

Regards,
    Stu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast