Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Orchid Menuki

Article about: My friend down South just sent me some photos of a nice set of older menuki I was wondering if I could Get some help with the signature.Regards,Geoff

Default Orchid Menuki

My friend down South just sent me some photos of a nice set of older menuki I was wondering if I could Get some help with the signature.Regards,Geoff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Orchid Menuki   Orchid Menuki  

Attached Images Attached Images Orchid Menuki 

田中芳章 花押
    Tanaka Yoshiaki With kaō signature

Edo period
    I cannot find a lot about him, but I did find a pair of his menuki (only the menuki, check signature in bottom left image), and on a kodzuka here.

Note: the kogai, fuchi/kashira, and menuki set is gold -- and papered ... and valued at $12,000.
    The note on that page talks briefly about Tanaka Yoshiaki:
    目貫の作者である田中芳章も同じく江戸時代中期掛けて活躍した金工です。
    後藤全乗の門人となり、江戸湯島天神下に住して創作活動に励みました。門人には薗部芳継がいます。初名は政 章。通称は悦之助,五左衛門です。
    ===
    Yoshinaga Tanaka, the creator of the menuki, was a metalworker who also worked in the middle of the Edo period.
    He became a disciple of Goto Zenjo, and lived at Edo Yushima Tenjin no Sh!ta and encouraged creative activities. He had a disciple named Sonobe Hashitsugu. His initial name was Masa'aki, commonly known as Etsunosuke and Gozaemon.

--Guy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Orchid Menuki   Orchid Menuki  

Attached Images Attached Images Orchid Menuki 

Thank you Guy,Your talents are always Greatly appreciated!