MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Order of the rising sun first class

Article about: Hi Artie, By now you will no doubt have seen that the seller updated his listing. A member over on WAF has commented on your thread there to the effect that it's an authentic 1st class sash

artie
    ?

Default Order of the rising sun first class

Hello all,

I have been into collecting Japanese militaria for a long time, but have joined this forum for some advice. I've never bought anything on ebay before, but I saw this item, number 111076586744. It's something I've never been able to find before, so I'm looking for opinions on this item in particular, or experiences buying on ebay.

Thank you for any input.

?

Default Re: Order of the rising sun first class

Sorry I can't help with this BUT,That sure is a beautiful piece and at that price I would be asking questions also!! Good Luck!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

i think it is a nice medal and i Order of the rising sun first class it is original to help you out i posted the images !

artie
    ?

Thanks so far! What do you think this is worth? I saw some completed listings on ebay for a couple of first class Order of the Golden Kite medals going for over $12,000 each...

Hello Artie, A few odd thoughts and questions on this ORS. First of all, I am not too comfortable with the Case that it is in. As far as I've ever seen, these awards should be in a Black lacquer wooden box with the Breast Star badge and a lift out tray with the Sash held beneath it. The case that is shown, from what we can see of it, looks to have age signs appropriate to it, but looks to be an unpainted wood, so I am wondering if this may possibly have been a replacement case?(although the blue velvet liner is correct) The award Does, however, show the expected enamel damage from wear that so many of these heavy neck awards all seem to show, so it was apparently publicly worn and from it's quality of manufacture, I am almost certain that it is, indeed, a genuine issued award. The description given does not state or show if there is a makers mark, but I would expect that there is one. I am also abit surprised to see that the Seller is located in Japan, as I had previously thought that the Japanese Government forbade all sales of these awards to outside of Japan. Perhaps they have relaxed the laws today? I have no clue. The award,though, in any case, is well worth the asking price, in my opinion. It is an Extremely High level award and these were not kept in stock to be issued as needed, but were made on command for issuance. Unfortunately, as far as I know of, there is almost no way of determining the age or era of when it was given. They were instituted in 1875 and are still being given to this day.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Hello Artie,

I'd want to know the dimensions before even attempting to go much further in the analysis of the piece. That award and the 4th class award are quite similar. I've seen people try to pass off a 4th as a 1st before on EBay. For other reasons too I would not proceed to purchase based on what is shown in that listing.

Regards,
    Stu

?

Further to last I also see the seller will not accept returns. Huge red flag in my mind and enough to make me walk away without looking back.

Regards,
    Stu

?

If you are going to question the seller further I'd also ask for photos of both obverse and reverse in natural light. Both the presence of patina and the differences in the way computer monitors depict color can sometimes be misleading when it comes to reviewing awards from photographs. Natural light will minimize that problem where silver and gold are concerned.

Regards,
    Stu
    PS: I've asked seller to provide measurements and more photos.
    Last edited by Stu W; 05-20-2013 at 08:42 PM.

?

Quote by Stu W View Post
    I've seen people try to pass off a 4th as a 1st before
    Incidentally, my family has inherited a 4th class award, and although I don't have it here, it does look rather like the one here pictured. The presentation case is a beautiful thing - deep black lacquer with a chrysanthemum seal in gold, I recall that it also has a red tasseled cord attached to the case too and button hole badge included too. Our relative was a professor at the Imperial Naval College of Japan, 1914-20. Incidentally, during the 1940s he was in Egypt and received the Order of the Nile.

?

Seller has just advised me that he is travelling at the moment but will post additional photos and measurements upon his return. Let's monitor this one and see what transpires.

Regards,
    Stu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast