Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Original Japanese Officer Sword?

Article about: Greetings all, Upcoming auction item. Apologies for the poor quality pics, this house needs a new photographer but there have been a few jewels in the rough. Anything obvious here? Or is it

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    Is the tang signed?

--Guy
    I'll only know if I win it mate as they don't allow dismantling during inspection. Cheers

Good Luck!! Definitely looks to have the potential of a being a "Princess in Rags" look carefully for cracks or openings in the blade.. especially from the cutting edge toward the spine! also make sure the tip has not been broken off and reshaped.. Fingers crossed for you! Regards,Geoff

I have won the gunto gents. I will look to show photos of the tang. The tang appears unsigned. Cheers
    Last edited by christek; 08-20-2016 at 01:43 PM.

Congratulations!!!

Mart

The Cosmoline can be cleaned from the blade with Acetone or Fingernail polish remover as it is commonly known.I would recommend dabbing it with a saturated cotton ball first and allow it to soften for a bit.You dont want to scrub because it may have some grains of sand stuck in the grease that would scratch the blade.I would wait for those more qualified for confirmation that this would be a wise method of cleaning.Congrats on your new acquisition!,Regards,Geoff

Many thanks Geoff!
    Last edited by christek; 08-21-2016 at 02:53 AM.

Default Officer Gunto For Opinions - Antique?

My first Japanese sword, an officer gunto.

The blade was covered in grease (As in my last post). I very carefully cleaned it. The blade has some old pitting and is not in my ideal condition but I am still very happy with it and it displays nicely. The tang does not appear to be signed but a small mark could perhaps go unnoticed? This weapon is still quite sharp and the cutting edge starts at the Habaki. The cutting blade is just over 26 '' and the whole gunto is just under 36'' long.

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original Japanese Officer Sword?   Original Japanese Officer Sword?  

Original Japanese Officer Sword?   Original Japanese Officer Sword?  

MAP
    ?

Congrats. Glad you were able to win this. Always pays off doing your homework beforehand!!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The nakago looks very old, and the filled upper mekugi-ana, I've read, means that this was originally fitted in civilian koshirae. I'd love to hear some of the real experts chime in on the age of this blade.

Default Better pics

Thanks Bruce I am really enjoying my new gunto and the new research associated with ownership!

Here are some better photos showing the nakago.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original Japanese Officer Sword?   Original Japanese Officer Sword?  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast