Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Original Japanese Officer Sword?

Article about: Greetings all, Upcoming auction item. Apologies for the poor quality pics, this house needs a new photographer but there have been a few jewels in the rough. Anything obvious here? Or is it

Default Original Japanese Officer Sword?

Greetings all,
    Upcoming auction item. Apologies for the poor quality pics, this house needs a new photographer but there have been a few jewels in the rough.
    Anything obvious here? Or is it scrap?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original Japanese Officer Sword?   Original Japanese Officer Sword?  

Original Japanese Officer Sword?   Original Japanese Officer Sword?  

a genuine period sword but the blade is really rough
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Many thanks for the quick reply Bob - I'll try to inspect in hand now if time allows. Much appreciated.

Chris,
    Nice Officer gunto with Company grade (Lt's and Capt's) tassel! An officer grade tassel on the market runs $150 USD or more, so that would add to the sale price if they know what they're doing. The blade may just be covered with a goop they used back then to store metal gear, machinery, etc (there's a name for it, but I don't recall). It might be a gem in the rough!

The blade appears more curved than your standard shingunto, so it MIGHT be something special, like a hand-made blade or even something old, heirloom-type. Can't wait to see more if you get it.

The tassel is worth 100.00 usd
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

the goop could be cosmoline grease.

Mart

Default Better Pics After Visit

Gentlemen, many thanks for your input.

Here are some (slightly) better pics. Although it has some issues, in hand it looks much better than in the initial pics viewed. I think it is cosmoline grease covering the blade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original Japanese Officer Sword?   Original Japanese Officer Sword?  

Is the tang signed?

--Guy

A closer look
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original Japanese Officer Sword?  

Quote by Bruce Pennington View Post
    The blade appears more curved than your standard shingunto, so it MIGHT be something special, like a hand-made blade or even something old, heirloom-type. Can't wait to see more if you get it.
    Bruce,

Agreed -- deep curvature! The first thing I noticed was the koshizori [deepest curve of the blade near the handle]; next, I noticed what looks like a double-habaki.

Let's get a look at the nakago [tang] after the owner removes the mekugi [retaining pin].

Cheers,
    --Guy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast