Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Original WWII Japanese type 90 helmet?

Article about: Sorry, the text I wrote did not appear with the pics: I picked up a helmet that was listed as original WWII Japanese army type 90 helmet. My main concern is that there are no ventilation hol

Default Original WWII Japanese type 90 helmet?

Original WWII Japanese type 90 helmet?Original WWII Japanese type 90 helmet?

Sorry, the text I wrote did not appear with the pics: I picked up a helmet that was listed as original WWII Japanese army type 90 helmet. My main concern is that there are no ventilation holes drilled in the top (it only has holes for the liner on the sides). There is some writing in Japanese inside the front rim, but I can't read Japanese. I didn't spend too much on it, so if it turns out to be fake/civilian/post war, I won't be too wrapped around the axle. What are your thoughts about the originality of this helmet? Thanks in advance.

It looks OK to me, although more, and better pictures, would help in giving a positive ID. I cannot recall the Type 90 even having ventilation holes in the top!

Sorry, it is not an Army helmet, but a civil defense helmet with star added post war. Army star on a civilian helmet during war time was cause for arrest by the Kempei. The writing is an address from Tatsumi township of Minato Ward in Nagoya City. The writing was likely done post war, going left to right. Type 90 helmets must all have 4 vent holes on top.

I stand corrected!

Thanks Harry! Here are some more pics:
    Original WWII Japanese type 90 helmet?Original WWII Japanese type 90 helmet?Original WWII Japanese type 90 helmet?Original WWII Japanese type 90 helmet?

Yes, Nick is right of course, a civil defence helmet.

Thanks Nick! When I saw the price of ~$130 compared to other much more expensive Japanese helmets of the period, I thought something may be up. I will still make a nice display piece. Thanks again!

For a messed-with civilian helmet shell, I'm afraid you paid more than double of what it's worth. I would ask for a refund, if possible.
    After all, the seller gave you false info and should be obligated to take it back.

I've just been looking back through some of my older postings of 2009, and I listed a Type 18 that I purchased direct from Japan - along with a very large flag. My other helmet - a Type 90, was badly scorched to the rear. I always suspected that perhaps it was the result of a flame-thrower. The chinstrap in the Type 90 was a modern replacement. Neither of these helmets are in my possession now.

Original WWII Japanese type 90 helmet?Original WWII Japanese type 90 helmet?Original WWII Japanese type 90 helmet?Original WWII Japanese type 90 helmet?Original WWII Japanese type 90 helmet?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast