Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Period memorial book on the Battle of Attu

Article about: I am quite interested in the Aleutian campaign, and it is a focus of my collection. I have three (possibly four) helmets from this campaign, including two that are named. I have always wante

?

Default Period memorial book on the Battle of Attu

I am quite interested in the Aleutian campaign, and it is a focus of my collection. I have three (possibly four) helmets from this campaign, including two that are named. I have always wanted to research these, so when I saw this book on Ebay, I jumped on it. Almost all of the soldiers that participated in the battle are pictured. Each picture has name, rank, and address attached. While most of the soldiers came from Hokkaido, there are a number from a sprinkling of other prefectures in Japan

I would love to have a translation of the entire book, which has several pages of narrative. A fellow collector is helping me to try and narrow down the soldiers that my helmets may have belonged to. Those surnames are Higuchi and Hanada. We have found 6 soldiers named Higuchi, and when my helper returns from business travel he will help me search for Hanada.

Has anyone seen this book before? How rare is it?

Thanks,

Scott

Col. Yamasaki 山崎保代

The soldiers with surname 'Higuchi'.

Some sample pages from the book. There are over 60 pages.

Last edited by NARVIK; 01-09-2017 at 07:48 AM.

?

Imo, this is a significant boon for the collecting community. Never before, at least in my experience, has there been something like this available for searching out information on a soldier, at least if you know where your item came from. With Scott bringing this booklet to light, I have been able to connect two faces to two of my techou, and might be able to connect a third item, an IJA manual, to a face, in the near future.

I do have two questions about this and other such booklets and hope someone might be able to provide some insight:

1. Concerning this booklet and the information available: Is it correct to assume that the ranks posted next to each pic. are automatic posthumous promotions, or were they the ranks of the soldiers when they were garrisoned on Attu?

2. Knowing that such a booklet is out there, does anyone know if other equally limited Pacific battles and/or other limited garrisons were memorialized in such a way as to have the pictures/info. of the fallen soldiers printed in a booklet? For example, the IJN putting out something for Betio/Makin, something for the Ichiki Detachment, etc.

Any help with the above is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Tom

?

Tom, I wish to thank you publically for your diligence in assisting me by looking at over 2800 portraits depicted in this book to locate possible matches with my helmets. At some point I hope to make a PDF of the entire booklet to make available for research. It would be nice with a full translation of the text at some point.

Scott

?

It was a pleasure to help with this project, Scott. I want to add that I appreciate the opportunity to study such a booklet. I can't emphasize enough how important such a booklet is to our collecting community. Compared to German records, there is practically nothing out there in the way of researching the connection our items had to someone in the IJA/IJN. We can only hope that one day Yasukuni will throw open the doors to their archive. Until then, it is nice to have at least one corner of the Pacific war opened to us.

Tom

?

That's quite a find Scott, I didn't know that something such as this type of publication existed. It would be interesting to know if there are indeed other books covering other battles with this same level of detail. And also great work by Tom to help with the identification of possible candidates for your helmets - well done!

Regards

Russ