MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Picked up a WW2 sword at gunshow. Opinions please.

Article about: Hello everyone. I am new here and seeking some opinions. I picked up the WW2 sword at a local gun show from a guy selling WW2 memorabilia. I know the sword is machined, but I just want to ma

usfpaul82
    ?

Default Picked up a WW2 sword at gunshow. Opinions please.

Hello everyone. I am new here and seeking some opinions. I picked up the WW2 sword at a local gun show from a guy selling WW2 memorabilia. I know the sword is machined, but I just want to make sure it is authentic. I believe it is, and a seller at another booth who had a hand forged ww2 sword for sale also stated it was real, just machined. Well I got home and took the tsuka off and unfortunately it is not signed anywhere. I have researched that nat all swords are signed. The Tsuba fits very loose as you can see in the pictures the opening for the blade is pretty wisde, but the handle (tsuka) does fit very tight, so the tsuba justs twists, but does not move up and down at all. It one point it looks like the blade may have been cleaned or polished but it looks to be in great shape otherwise. The tsuka is pretty rough and all the fittings are heavily aged, hoping its real age. The same is white, or was, but looks brown/black now. The habiki also has some japanese writting on it on both sides which i have not seen in any of the pictures I have found online. The saya is in real good condition. Anyways, what do you all think?

- - Updated - -

Default Re: Picked up a WW2 sword at gunshow. Opinions please.

Tough one, I want to tell you its authentic but im not sure. Can you post some clearer pics of the menuki, tsuba, Pommel (Kabuto-gane) and kuchigane. From what i can see, the fittings have been painted and look very worn. The same-kawa has also been painted. A few more pics should help.

Cheers-

D.L

Welcome to out Forum. The sword is definitely a Chinese copy. One of the give aways is the crossed flags and kanji on the habaki. These are common details found on Chinese made modern repros and not found on period Japanese swords. The tang of the blade is not finished in the manner a war time Japanese blade would be made. The kissaki or point is also poorly executed and not the shape of even the poorest period machine made sword. Sorry to be bearer of bad news. I would suggest returning it to the seller and obtaining a refund.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Welcome to out Forum. The sword is definitely a Chinese copy. One of the give aways is the crossed flags and kanji on the habaki. These are common details found on Chinese made modern repros and not found on period Japanese swords. The tang of the blade is not finished in the manner a war time Japanese blade would be made. The kissaki or point is also poorly executed and not the shape of even the poorest period machine made sword. Sorry to be bearer of bad news. I would suggest returning it to the seller and obtaining a refund.
    I was thinking the same myself, just wanted a few close ups to be sure as i didn't want to right it off straight away as a Chinese fake but that is exactly what it is. Op, any chance you can get your money back? otherwise just clean it up and display it.

Cheers-

D.L