Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Plastic Japanese Dog Tag

Article about: This was included as part of a grouping in a thread I put up yesterday. But I listing it separately as I was hoping someone could provide more info. This was part of a IJN grouping I picked

MAP
    ?

Default Plastic Japanese Dog Tag

This was included as part of a grouping in a thread I put up yesterday. But I listing it separately as I was hoping someone could provide more info.

This was part of a IJN grouping I picked up. I do not know if the grouping was all from the same person (buy the item not the story) but I bought it primarily because of this tag.

It is a plastic type material. Has anyone ever seen something like this before? I haven't.

And thanks to Guy for help translating in my prior post (listed here: Bringback Grouping)

Thanks and Regards,

Michael

Plastic Japanese Dog Tag
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Can't help you Michael,a first for me too but certainly interesting and a bit differant,thanks for sharing..............

MAP
    ?

Thanks Jake. A little diamond in the rough item for me.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Rod
    ?

Hi Michael,

Since we can only speculate, my two cents... It may be a name patch for sewing on to a tunic. I imagine a practice that might depend on the serviceman's duties.

Regards, Rod

?

Just a thought, maybe not a dog tag but some sort of sweetheart memento. It is very interesting none the less.

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

Quote by Rod View Post
    Hi Michael,

Since we can only speculate, my two cents... It may be a name patch for sewing on to a tunic. I imagine a practice that might depend on the serviceman's duties.

Regards, Rod
    Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Just a thought, maybe not a dog tag but some sort of sweetheart memento. It is very interesting none the less.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Phil/Rod,

I think these are really close as one character (according to Guy in my earlier post) may say "arrange/organize" or something like that.

Thanks for thinking outside the box.

Michael

?

Hi Map,
    Interesting piece you have there, is it a hard plastic, similar to bakelite?
    Ern

MAP
    ?

Quote by stegel View Post
    Hi Map,
    Interesting piece you have there, is it a hard plastic, similar to bakelite?
    Ern
    Yes. I would tend to believe so.

M

?

Unlike the IJA, which used brass/steel tags, the IJN used plastic (or similar material) tags which were attached directly to the uniform. Once in a while, war era photos will pop up of IJN personnel sporting these plastic tags on their uniforms. Please note that other Japanese entities (non-military, commercial) aside from the IJN utilized such named tags made out of plastic as well. As to IJN specific tags, I have seen these in any combination of name, blood type, and rank. Being with a grouping makes it easier to assume that it once belonged to a member of the IJN, but if it were by itself, I would be looking for a naval rank scratched in with the name. The kanji above the name might hold a clue for IJN connection, but I for one do not know that connection.

Tom

MAP
    ?

Quote by tomp View Post
    Unlike the IJA, which used brass/steel tags, the IJN used plastic (or similar material) tags which were attached directly to the uniform. Once in a while, war era photos will pop up of IJN personnel sporting these plastic tags on their uniforms. Please note that other Japanese entities (non-military, commercial) aside from the IJN utilized such named tags made out of plastic as well. As to IJN specific tags, I have seen these in any combination of name, blood type, and rank. Being with a grouping makes it easier to assume that it once belonged to a member of the IJN, but if it were by itself, I would be looking for a naval rank scratched in with the name. The kanji above the name might hold a clue for IJN connection, but I for one do not know that connection.

Tom
    Tom,

Fantastic information. Thanks for the detailed information.

It did come with a Vet grouping (link is above in first post), but I had no way to verify if the vet got them all in one place or if he collected these pieces separately.

Eitherway, as noted I got it primarily because of the tag (the other items are nothing special) and I'm glad I now have an answer.

Thanks again!

Michael

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast