Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Please help identify Japanese sword

Article about: Hi guys,can someone identify or tell me if this is a genuine wakizashi sword? I want to buy it but i dont know if it is worth.Any help is welcome Thanks

elby
    ?

Exclamation Please help identify Japanese sword

Hi guys,can someone identify or tell me if this is a genuine wakizashi sword? I want to buy it but i dont know if it is worth.Any help is welcome Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Please help identify Japanese sword   Please help identify Japanese sword  

?

Default Re: Please help identify Japanese sword

i believe that size would be a Tanto. and i dont like what i see of the blade, it looks chinese made. i'm no expert on these by any means. but i dont like the grain of the steel or how that bevel looks on the cutting edge. hopefully some one that knows more can be of more help.
    andrew

elby
    ?

Thanks Adrew,i was puzzled too from the grain of the blade,but i hoped that is a damascus like blade (made from many layers of different steel types folded over and over again),but i dont know anymore... Okay, thanks anyway man!

?

It appears to be a chinese fake from the look of the blade. Sorry.

elby
    ?

Thanks man

?

Hi Elby , give this one a miss , it`s not good
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

elby
    ?

You have right,a too good offer is often lead to a loss

?

Quote by elby View Post
    i hoped that is a damascus like blade (made from many layers of different steel types folded over and over again)
    Why? It's a myth that 'Damascus' steel (properly simply called pattern welded steel) is anything superior- it got its mythic status probably from Crusaders who were used to poorer European steel in the middle ages and were impressed with the Saracen weapons that were better. It's actually simply an attempt to correct for variations in smelted iron's carbon content- some areas have lots, others not much, so you mix and fold, and fold and fold- it distributes the carbon and forces out impurities. In truth it's probably as old as ironworking. It was also used as a decorative process by master smiths- the Norse in particular seemed to have a love of it judging by the complicated patterning one can see on many swords and even spearheads. It just takes treatment with acid to bring out the different colors of the different steels. I've read it suggested that perhaps 'Damascus' steel weapons had some nickel or tungsten or other alloying metals in them (probably not purposely though) that made them better to some extent, but I don't know of any proof to support the idea. It's also possible the Damascene weaponsmiths had better hardening and tempering techniques as well, which would be allowed by superior steel, but still wouldn't equate to modern crystalline steels' properties.

Modern 'Damascus' blades' steel is all high quality so doesn't need or benefit from the layering; it's purely decorative.

Japanese bladesmiths do also fold their steel to even out the carbon content, to force out contaminants, etc. but they 'assemble' two types of steel (one high carbon, one low) to form classical Katana and Wakizashi blades in a specific way so the superiority is not due to the folding but the macro structure- a high-carbon, hard jacket around a low-carbon, soft and flexible core. They also have the benefit of their material, derived from iron sand, being relatively pure- mined iron ore has a whole lot more 'stuff' in it to affect the quality of the steel derived.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

elby
    ?

Thanks for the update Matt! So even its look fine,this particulary blade isint made in classical style of the japanese culture...so i have an answer to my question.Anyway i wont buy this piece,price is to high comparative to quality.Thanks again!