Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Prayer Flag & NCO Sword Bought at auction

Article about: Hello. Would appreciate any thoughts or comments on these 2 items which I recently bought at a Militaria Auction in Belfast. The first item is a Japanese Prayer/Battle flag and the second is

?

Default Prayer Flag & NCO Sword Bought at auction

Hello.

Would appreciate any thoughts or comments on these 2 items which I recently bought at a Militaria Auction in Belfast.

The first item is a Japanese Prayer/Battle flag and the second is a sword which I believe is a type 95 NCO type.

Would also appreciate any translation of the Japanese writing on the flag.

Many Thanks.

Jim
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Prayer Flag & NCO Sword Bought at auction   Prayer Flag & NCO Sword Bought at auction  

Prayer Flag & NCO Sword Bought at auction   Prayer Flag & NCO Sword Bought at auction  

Prayer Flag & NCO Sword Bought at auction   Prayer Flag & NCO Sword Bought at auction  

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on these additions to your collection. The flag is not a "prayer flag" but wishes of good fortune from friends and relatives when the owner entered the military. He was given a party and those present signed the flag, which was usually carried on the soldier's person.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Hello and welcome. As Bob mentions, not a "prayer" flag. Nor is it a "battle flag". It's a Good Luck flag or Hinomaru no Yosegaki. Much has been written on the topic. In fact some folks focus upon them and find the below linked reference work of value and interest. The larger kanji are usually slogans and the smaller writing is signatures of well wishers. I, and others, will have a look at them as time permits and you will get a translation within a few days. Here is a link to the reference work I mentioned.

Get History Today - Home

As to the Type 95 IJA NCO sword ... at first glance it appears to be a period authentic brass tsuba (hand guard), aluminum tsuka (handle), top latch (holds sword in saya) version.

It appears to have been made by the Suya company for the Tokyo First Arsenal while it was still under Kokura administration so pre Pacific War with the allies and likely saw service in China to start.

Here is some info on the types ...

IJA Type 95 NCO Sword Info

I'm going to have a better look at the sword on a computer screen and if for any reason I feel it's not as I have stated I'll let you know.

Regards,
    Stu

?

Taken from the reference thread on WA ...

... 武運長久 Buun (Fortunes of war) Choukyuu (Forever/perpetually) usually translated as "Eternal Good Fortune in Battle" or something similar. Sometimes 祈 is added to make it Ki Buun Choukyuu "Prayers for Eternal Good Fortune in Battle".

Yours appears to be the longer 5 kanji slogan across the top ... Ki Buun Choukyuu.

Regards,
    Stu

This is difficult because of the ink spread and covered up the first kanji. However, a best guess would be:
    藤谷省一君

Fujitani Shōichi-kun
    Mr. Fujitani Shōichi
    Fujitani is the family name

祈御奮鬪
    Ki Go Funtō
    Prayers/Wishes for Your Honored Struggle
    Don't know if I'm giving the proper pronunciation of honored -- could also be read as "Mi" and "O"... but being a non-native, "go" feels right.

石橋生
    Ishibashi Sho
    He wrote the wishes for his struggles/fight. This "sho" kanji is normally read as "sei" or "iki"; it is somewhat unusual as a given name. I've copied below other possible pronunciations.

土谷一郎
    Tsuchiya Ichirō
    Another signatory following Ishibashi (at an angle).

Alternate pronunciations for when used in Japanese names [usually comprising 2 kanji]: あさ asa、 いき iki、 いく iku、 いけ ike、 うぶ ubu、 うまい umai、 え e、 おい oi、 ぎゅう gyou、 くるみ kurumi、 ごせ gosei、 さ sa、 じょう jyou、 すぎ sugi、 そ so、 そう sou、 ちる chiru、 なば naba、 にう iu、 にゅう nyou、 ふ fu、 み mi、 もう mou、 よい yoi、 りゅう riyou

--Guy

?

Thanks to everyone who responded to my queries on these 2 items. I normally only purchase WWII German items but decided to purchase these items for a change!