Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Pre-war Showa tsuka.

Article about: I don't think I have posted about this item here before, and if I have forgive me. Some time ago I got my hands on a Showa era, non shin-gunto tsuka, but I hesitate to call it civilian, beca

?

Default Pre-war Showa tsuka.

I don't think I have posted about this item here before, and if I have forgive me. Some time ago I got my hands on a Showa era, non shin-gunto tsuka, but I hesitate to call it civilian, because the main motif is one I have seen on official and semi official items. I have posted it elsewhere,and not received any useful information one way or another, and so here it is. The Fuchi/kashira are stamped brass, the menuki I think were old when they went on the piece. Any ideas, hints or solid information welcome.
    Pre-war Showa tsuka.Pre-war Showa tsuka.Pre-war Showa tsuka.

That is called a 5-3 Paulownia crest, which is civilian in origin. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Govern...#5-3_Paulownia

Both 5-3 and 5-7 versions have been used for the Order of the Rising Sun, etc.

?

Which is why I did not see it as being mainstream military, but something else. Perhaps one of the Gunzoku variants! This might amuse you, I bought this online, described as being a military sake cup, a gunpai..... and no it isn't is it. I was a little (only a little) miffed when one of the girls in the kimono group gave me a translation.

Pre-war Showa tsuka.

Come on Dave - tell us!

?

Taisho Rokunen (1917) Ishikawa-Ken Enuma-Gun, Busan Kyoshin Kai...... basically it is something like a souvenir or commemorative from a regional exposition of products of Enuma-Gun in the prefecture of Ishikawa-Ken. "Best in show" prize possibly. But it is a handsome piece of Maki lacquerware.

It's still civilian, even with the 5-3 Paulownia crest. Like on your sake cup, these emblems were not restricted to official usage only. Maybe they are now. The 5-7 Paulownia crest is the post-war Japanese government crest.